What would you recommend for $1000

kidkage

Bored of Canada
If I had a grand to drop on mic/mics what would you all recommend?

I'm a typical record my guitar/bass/drum/vocal parts in (somewhat treated) spare bedroom that buys way too much stuff and wants to develop my mic locker. I'm looking for something that can be very useful to me in all situations. The only reason I'm a little skeptical about spending the entire grand on one mic is because I have this odd concern that the mic will be so good that my room will make it sound like shit...
and... I've heard good things about the SM7B and NT1-A.

All help is appreciated.

:p

EDIT: I have a Sennheiser e602, Studio Projects B1, and of course.... AN SM57

I agree that EV RE20 is a good place to start, but... you are talking drums, which takes *at least* 4 mics. You didn't mention any mics you already have. The RE20 is a bitchin' kick drum mic, but I'd be wanting to use it for vocals. You need a pair of overheads, a kick mic, a couple of good cheap dynamics, and a main vocal mic. For my $1000, I'd be looking at a pair of AKG C2000B's, used. They'll do overheads, vocals, cabs, acoustic, almost anything. Next, a (used) AKG D112- all purpose kick and bass mic. A couple of standard dynamics (again, used)-Shure SM57, AKG D770, or even the dreaded Behringer XM8500 ($20 new, and really don't suck). OK, I've got you up to $900 (new) or $500-or-so used (see the point of the *used* thing?). Then I'd add 1 or 2 condensers for vocals and all-purpose use- MXL V67G ($120 or so), B.L.U.E. Bluebird, Audio-Technica 4040 or 40-anything. If you do a little more classic rock, instead of the condenser, you add Shure SM7b or EV RE20. Then you have a badass dynamic, and the C2000b's can be used as vocal condensers. You want one mic? Buy a C414 or an AT4060. That's not how I'd spend the money right now. It sounds like you need *mics* more than you need *mic*. Good luck-Richie

I agree that EV RE20 is a good place to start, but... you are talking drums, which takes *at least* 4 mics. You didn't mention any mics you already have. The RE20 is a bitchin' kick drum mic, but I'd be wanting to use it for vocals. You need a pair of overheads, a kick mic, a couple of good cheap dynamics, and a main vocal mic. For my $1000, I'd be looking at a pair of AKG C2000B's, used. They'll do overheads, vocals, cabs, acoustic, almost anything. Next, a (used) AKG D112- all purpose kick and bass mic. A couple of standard dynamics (again, used)-Shure SM57, AKG D770, or even the dreaded Behringer XM8500 ($20 new, and really don't suck). OK, I've got you up to $900 (new) or $500-or-so used (see the point of the *used* thing?). Then I'd add 1 or 2 condensers for vocals and all-purpose use- MXL V67G ($120 or so), B.L.U.E. Bluebird, Audio-Technica 4040 or 40-anything. If you do a little more classic rock, instead of the condenser, you add Shure SM7b or EV RE20. Then you have a badass dynamic, and the C2000b's can be used as vocal condensers. You want one mic? Buy a C414 or an AT4060. That's not how I'd spend the money right now. It sounds like you need *mics* more than you need *mic*. Good luck-Richie

:p I did mention the mics up there. I edited them in seconds after i started the thread.
2 studio projects B1 for overheads, SM57 for snare, e602 for kick.
I use them for other things too, amps, vox, etc. but I'd like to add some more of a higher quality to the collection not that the ones I have now aren't capable of getting awesome results.

Though I did say that I'm looking for something great and multipurpose (which I am), I have been neglecting my vocals :o I've never put the time and money into my vocals that I have into the instruments and I'd like to start practicing now and get a bitching mic for them. (Male vocals. Not classical or screaming or anything like that; just rock vocals i guess)

If I could get a high quality voc. mic that could also be used on guitar cabs or something else why not :p?
I love the 57 on snare, but on my vox it sounds... small. Like theres a mid range/treb thing on it that the B1 doesnt have.

I'm sorry- that's what I get for posting at lunch in a hurry. Well then- for versatility, it's hard to beat any of the following- AKG C414 (almost any model, but I prefer the older B-ULS or the current X-LS version), Shure KSM44, Audio-technica AT4050. If you spook around ebay a bit, your $1000 could snag one of those and an EV RE20 or Shure SM7b. Then you get a versatile condenser and a versatile dynamic, both of which are better than what you have right now, and both are studio standard equipment worldwide.-Richie

I'm sorry- that's what I get for posting at lunch in a hurry. Well then- for versatility, it's hard to beat any of the following- AKG C414 (almost any model, but I prefer the older B-ULS or the current X-LS version), Shure KSM44, Audio-technica AT4050. If you spook around ebay a bit, your $1000 could snag one of those and an EV RE20 or Shure SM7b. Then you get a versatile condenser and a versatile dynamic, both of which are better than what you have right now, and both are studio standard equipment worldwide.-Richie

No problem. Thanks for the help.

As far as condensers go I'm actually trying to decide between the AT 4050 and the Neumann TLM102... I can't seem to find much about the Neumann

The 102 isn't all that bad and don't let the size fool you (it fits in the palm of your hand).

But with Richards first post to you I would take his advice and expand your locker and get the several ones that he mentioned used, that way you'll be ready for anything that comes down the pike in the future and take care of your present situation. ;)

SM7B, SM57, CAD M179, MXL 67G, MXL 2003, Oktava anything and focus on getting mics that will work for more than one situation. Not just one money mic for vocals.

With the feedback I've decided to get a few mics rather than 1 $1,000 mic.
So thanks for pointing me in that direction :)

Since I've already got:
SM57- Vox, cabs, and (where I love it) snare.
2 Studio Projects B1's- Kind of multipurpose budget condensers that I've used for vox and overhead so far
and a Sennheiser e602- So new I haven't even plugged it up, but for bass drum and cab

Do any of you see anything wrong with me going for an SM7b, 2 Sterling Audio ST31's, and an AT4040?
As far as them clashing or being pointless coupled with what I already have :confused:

EDIT: I seem to be getting a lot of recommendations for the V67G, so buying the above would leave me some room for that too

The multiple mics for $1000 is definitely the way to go, given your limited mic locker at the moment. The choices you have are good. I would suggest: an Shure SM7, a Shure KSM27 (recently relabeled the SM27) and a couple of Audio-Technica ATM450's for your SDC's.

I'm pretty sure the SM7, and some type of LDC at $300, will be bought. Thats 650 (new, I'll probably check the used route im just using new as a worst case scenario reference :o), so there's 350 left... I'm trying to snag a pair of condensers that will be solid for drum overheads. Since I'll mainly be using four mics on the drum (2 oh's, snare, and kick), would it be better to go with LDC or SDC? im pretty nooby on how the difference will affect things, but just kind of assumed LDC would make for a more open sound

I've been using B1's with the recorderman method.

And the ATM450's might run you SLIGHTLY over budget. I think I found the last one I got for $179 (new, with no shipping), but I had to wait around for it. I might have paid about $189 for the other one. Ebay is definitely cheaper on those than going to MF or places like that.

I haven't tried the ATM's as overheads, quite frankly, but I suspect that they'd do well. I generally use my Peluso CEM6's for overheads, which are WAY out of your budget. SDC's are traditionally used for OH's, but there are a LOT of exceptions to that rule. I do know that they totally ROCK on acoustic guitar. I don't think I've done any recording of an acoustic that didn't use at least one. Sometimes two in a stereo configuration, sometimes one mixed in with a mellower mic.

BTW, if you need to cut the price range of your LDC a bit, the new Blue Spark mic has highs that sound a whole lot like the KSM27/KSM44, although it doesn't sound much like them in the lows. The highs are very smooth (like the Shures), but the bass is a lot woolier. The KSM's are smooth throughout the whole frequency range. They are also built like tanks. Would probably last you forever. Can't say that the Blue will. Although it seems fairly well made, I don't think it's got the build quality of the Shure. Would probably be a better long-term investment, if you were only going to have one of the two.

BTW, if you need to cut the price range of your LDC a bit, the new Blue Spark mic has highs that sound a whole lot like the KSM27/KSM44, although it doesn't sound much like them in the lows. The highs are very smooth (like the Shures), but the bass is a lot woolier. The KSM's are smooth throughout the whole frequency range. They are also built like tanks. Would probably last you forever. Can't say that the Blue will. Although it seems fairly well made, I don't think it's got the build quality of the Shure. Would probably be a better long-term investment, if you were only going to have one of the two.

Check this Blue Spark out HERE.

Would the Shure be a better buy than the 4040 for my purposes? I've seen a lot of really good reviews for it.
I wouldn't be too bummed about going (at most) $100 over budget. I wouldn't want to go more than that though, as I'm also trying to get a LA-610 MKII this year

:( I may have to put recording on hold for a while so I can work more hours to get this stuff (I'm almost there though:D)
Atleast my parents arent killing me for buying all of this stuff :)
and
Atleast it's not a drug addiction :D

The AT4040 is fine, so is the whole Shure KSM line. The SM7b is a no-brainer. The Sterlings, IMHO, aren't a great choice. Yeah, they're SD's, but aren't really any better than your B1's. A better upgrade would be a pair of Studio Projects C-4's, which are good as overheads and on acoustic instruments, and come with omni capsules. I like the Rode NT-5's also, but I like the C-4's for the omni option. In reality, I prefer the AKG C2000b's to all of the above, because they do what the other small diaphragms do, they're better on most percussion, and can be used with good effect on cabs and vocals. They are simply one of the most versatile cheap mics out there. I got both of mine used, for < $100 each.-Richie

Back