What would you do with this acoustic guitar recording?

rick woodall

hello

just recorded the rhythm guitar piece for a new song I'm recording and instead of just going ahead and doing what I always do, I thought I'd get some opinions, as to how I should edit the tracks.

The guitar playing is in a mellow open tuning finger style. I used an mxl 603 (small diaphram) for the bridge. An sm 87 for the sound hole and a rode nt1a for the top frets. my pre amps are just basic m audio ones. the only editing the recording as you will hear it (on the file I'm going to link to) is some basic compression on the master.

ultimately the song will be acoustic guitar, vocals and maybe one or two other subtle elements.

here's the guitar piece Flies guitar-01 by ricks other account on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

also, the next link is some other music I've made, in case you want to get an idea of what i do, bare in mind though, I intend the song I'm currently working on to ultimately a lot more bare than my other stuff - rick woodall's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

all thoughts and ideas appreciated

regards

rick

I like it. I really do. It sounds great, nice playing, and surprisingly few spots of finger noise. Well, at least compared to when I try to record an acoustic guitar.
I would have said add some compression, but if you have, maybe I'd compress it more. A weird thing I do, especially if my acoustic sounds thin (and yours certainly does not) is to double track it (or just copy and paste it into a second track). Now I pan them slightly (maybe 60% or so), and EQ the bejezus out of it. One may be brighter, and one flat or slightly goosed from the mids down. I only say it because your track might be considered a little dark. I have taken some really thin acoustic tracks and made them sound surprisingly full (or at least a heck of a lot fuller) by doing this. Sometimes I'll even nudge the time of the second track up just a few milliseconds. All of that adds up to a pretty cool sounding acoustic track. But then again, I suck at acoustic, have a bad acoustic, and don't know how to mic it so it sounds as good as yours. :o I may not have any room to offer advice because of this, but I reveal all my acoustic secrets to you so you can possibly make something that is already really good just a little 'different', if not any 'better'.

It could stand a little brightening. Recording technique seems fine, though - I'd go ahead and record all the tracks then EQ as needed (no sense in EQing until you are getting the mix to fit together).

Back