What Would You Choose?

If I had both avaliable, I'd try each pair to find the ones I like better. If I were buying, without hearing them, I'd go with the Shures based on durability. I use SM81's here, they DO get hit with drumsticks... this may or may not be an issue for you depending on where you like to put your overheads.

I've never heard the 94s, the spec sheets say the 81's have a wider frequency response (20-20 vs 40-16). The 81's have a two position bass roll-off and a pad. The 94s don't, but can run off an AA battery.
I would exspect the 81's to be better... because they cost more ;)

But seriously, the 81's are a common drum overhead mic and have been around a long time. If they were lost or stolen I'd buy them again, they really are good sounding and solidly built.

Hiya Mix,

Considering there are a few other possible candidates for the O/head position, is there any reason why you are limiting your choice to those two mics?

:cool:

IMO, I prefer the Shure SM81 over the SM94 and NT5.. but, ausrock has asked a good question, and with that in mind... you may want to checkout the Oktava MC-012 if your looking for some nice budget overhead mics.

The Oktava's are one I had in mind:)............The MXL603's really need careful placement to avoid the cymbals sounding overly bright, although that said, we are tracking a song at the moment where I am going to try the 603's almost on top of the cymbals.

Also the Studio Projects C4 pairs with the two capsules should not be ignored.............although the ones shipped to Aust., may be subject to the teething problems with the included shockmounts.

:cool:

My budget is $600 AUS so thats why the rode spring to mind and the 94's are on ebay, i think 2 octava might break the bank.

Back