What works for you?

NYMorningstar

Recording Modus Operandi
I play for a community dinner every week (large hall) and lots of time the background noise gets pretty loud, kids running around and conversations etc... I try to keep the volume just loud enough to mix in with the natural volume of my acoustic guitar and my big mouth, (I barely need a mic). I use a dynamic for vocals and a mix of condensor mic/DI box for guitar.

I notice when the crowd gets quieter, my playing becomes much more intimate and my performance improves. I notice that the FOH sound (when I hear it over the crowd noise) becomes part of my musical decisions and it's a definite improvement, that audio space where less becomes more. I'm thinking that I should be able to compensate for the background noise with my monitor but it seems to be a pretty gray area to arrive at the same intimacy.

I was hoping we could share some similar experiences and ways to deal with the issue of background noise. Keeping folks from talking is out of the question because we are promoting community and we want them to communicate.

I've tried turning up the volume but then the folks get louder too! When that happens it seems like there is more decay in my sound because there is a loss in dynamics and I arrive at the noise floor sooner.

I've always run my monitors dry, no reverb or effects but I had a thought yesterday that mixing some reverb into the monitors would help with the sustain. Does anyone use verb in their monitors?

Besides being the solo musician most of the time, I am also the sound guy (sucks to do both). I rely on other folks opinions for FOH volumes. So from the perspective of only hearing the stage volume, what to do, what to do?

Is the music for listening or dancing?

Either or your community night should be set up kinda as follows .....

1. Gathering of people - light canned music at conversation level.

2. Meal or major refreshments with canned music still in progress.

3. Shortly after follow up with a small type of door prize/raffle. (for sure to get everyone's full attention)

4. Then announce the nights entertainment. (Most people will get the hint)

5. Start by talking to everyone and thank them for coming etc. ~ Tell them bout the first song your to play and go from there ............................... :guitar:

A structured night that everyone will soon get the hang of. ;)

The music is for listening and the structure is to feed and entertain homeless folks. Changing how that works is not an option for me but I'm thinking there's gotta be a way to find that same groove there is when the background noise is low. So I take it you don't use reverb in the monitors. Any suggestions on how to fix the mix for me when the background floor noise raises without making everything louder? I guess I'll focus on experimenting. Maybe moving the monitor closer? It's a floor wedge about 1-2 feet in front of me.

To bad about not being able to structure the evenings event. Most folks will want to be lead if you can lead them.

Looks like you have a good grasp on the situation. Knowing your role in this is very important, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. Volume wars with a dinner crowd never works, they are going to want to talk and visit each other. Your role at this time is more "background entertainment". imho keep the volumes down (especially if the room has hard floors and walls). Make you performances count though, try to give each song your best. Even if they aren't paying attention it'll help you perform better when they are. I don't like effects in my monitors, just adds more clutter to things. I do however like to take a lot of time getting the eq right, for both the FOH and especially for the monitors.

Looks like you have a good grasp on the situation. Knowing your role in this is very important, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. Volume wars with a dinner crowd never works, they are going to want to talk and visit each other. Your role at this time is more "background entertainment". imho keep the volumes down (especially if the room has hard floors and walls). Make you performances count though, try to give each song your best. Even if they aren't paying attention it'll help you perform better when they are. I don't like effects in my monitors, just adds more clutter to things. I do however like to take a lot of time getting the eq right, for both the FOH and especially for the monitors.
Thanks, sounds like you've been there too.

This week I took all of the effects off the monitors(turns out there was a little verb in the monitor already) and used very little for the FOH. I started off with very low volume. To do that I had to turn down the volume for the condensor mic. I guess I had that up high because I always worried about it not picking up enough of the guitar. Turning that down cleared up alot for me because it was picking up the crowd noise too, duh. I used the volume knob on the guitar to make up for volume when I needed it. I put the monitor volume up so I could hear it real well and kept the FOH down to where I barely new it existed. It was a real pleasure to have it like I wanted(needed) it. You are so right about the best performance issue, it's really the only way to get their attention, lol. Thanks again!

Back