what will do the job??

mr. produca

i am having a hard time narrowed down a list of mics for the place.as you guys probably already know my genre is hip hop and r&b(which does have some singing)lot a people in that genre.im not a pro so i really dont know what will do me good.im mostly recording vocals possibly acoustic guitar,electric guitar and maybe drums(that sounds like everything :D ).i just need some guidence.tell me your opinions..i havent really set a budget but it wont be to crazy :D 3500 is probably the highest

Since hip hop and RnB typically use mostly fake instruments, you are probably better off investing in some good samplers. The main mic you want to spend your money on should be a vocal mic.

The u87 is the industry standard, but there are plenty of others that are excellent as well.

You want to pick up an SM57 as well because it works on snare drums, guitar cabinets and just about everything else.

I have the capabilities of miking my cabinets, but for tight rhythm, I love the sound I get from my Pod XT pro. You can even change the sounds after you record them which is awesome (including the distortion, cabinet types etc)

Those 3 things together would run you about

u87 - ($1700 new)
SM57 ($80 new) ---- $2500
Pod XT pro ($700 new)

For drums I would suggest getting a great kick drum mic such as the d112 or the shure beta (52) They are both about $200

Then all you need are small diaphragm condensors (SDC) mics. You can pick up a pair of Studio Projects C4 for about $320 new. They are awesome and can act as drum overheads, or can mic acoustic guitar in stereo.

Bass guitar and electric acoustic can both go direct into your soundcard, or into the pod. That would cover everything for you.

a slightly cheaper setup, would be;

to mxl 603`s as overheads, a small amount of sm 57`s to cover guitar cabs and drums, a b52 on the kick, + a sm58 is also a very handy mic.
for vox; mxl v67g, and SP b1.

this wouldent be to expensive I think.

hmmm i dont know

ryanformato said:
Since hip hop and RnB typically use mostly fake instruments, you are probably better off investing in some good samplers. The main mic you want to spend your money on should be a vocal mic.

u87 - ($1700 new)
SM57 ($80 new) ---- $2500
Pod XT pro ($700 new)
i dont agree with that to to much,i have heard some tracks that sound like they could never have be done on computer or such,while it is true that alot is sample based i still wouldnt mind an acoustic guitar in an r&b track(just my opinion)i guess money limits my mic collection :( and just where do you get a u87 new :eek: $1700 :eek: piont me to that.i was looking at the soundelux u195

OK, Mr. Produca- I'll build you a mic cabinet for $3500. Now I don't know jack about rap/hiphop, but I understand R&B just fine. Any set of mics that will do R&B can do rap.
Main vocal condenser- Soundelux U195- $1100 (vocals or almost anything)
Small diaphragm condenser pair- Josephson C42- $950 (overheads, acoustic, strings, piano)
Multipurpose studio workhorse mic- AKG C414B-XLS- $900 (some vocals, any damn thing you got-percussion, horns, sax, acoustic, amps, and on and on)
Dynamics-
Sennheiser MD421- $350 (good for belters, growlers, screamers, cabs, snare, toms, anything that's loud)
AKG D112- $200 (dedicated low frequency mic- kick and bass cabs)

It's like this- you can either buy a shit load of cheap mics and have many flavors of cheap, or you can buy a few mics that you will never have the urge to sell. You may not be able to do bizzillions of channels, but with the mics listed above, there is *nothing* that can't be recorded well, if you have a decent preamp. None of those mics will let you down.-Richie

im liking the list

thanks richard,i was liking the u195 from the start,i did hear a few horror stories of soundelux mics shipped dead as a doornail :eek: dont want that,but i think its definitly one of my pics(lets hope for the best)i have also had my eye on the AT40 series,something like a 4047,anybody think this is good?

I recommend the following:

Stereo Pair Microtech Gefell m930: Vocals and/or acoustic instruments (for exceptional clarity and purity, without color)

Peluso 22 251 and 22 47LE: Vocals

Check out Lawson L47 as well as Josephson C42 mics as well, they make outstanding products.

Schoepps makes a killer small condenser mic for acoustic guitar and stringed instruments.

I have heard good things about the U195 and the AT4060 as well, but the prior choices above are more recommended. I recommend these not from personal experience, but from alot of forum reading and recommmendations.

thats cool,thanks for the suggestions rick,i was also looking at the rode NTK.any body feeling this mic,comments are very welcome!

Rick has suggested some kickass mics, but way over your budget. The Schoeps are absolutely stunning- $2500 the pair. The Lawson is a kickass $2000 main vocal mic. I would be recommending stuff like that if your budget was $7500 instead of $3500.-Richie

Man get a MPC, a Yamaha Motif or Korg Triton...
decent soundcard...
a decent mic
and a decent mic pre...

then call it a day.

Back