What will be the best Synth for me.......?

DJ Strutt

Hello,

These are the kind of sounds i want to recreate....mainly real ones, e.g Trumpets, Pianos, Organs (mainly) etc.... alongside big dirty deep basslines. Im making UK Garage if anyone knows what that is! lol :rolleyes:

Any Ideas? I have around 600/700 to spend.

Someone suggested the EMU Proteus 2000 and the Roland JV 1080??

Since you mention sounds specifically...

I would audition both peices and make my decision that way.

I'm guessing that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the most helpful suggestion I can make to you. :D

added after originally posted
I posted this before I realized that these models were only "suggested" to you. You actually have lots more work ahead of you, cause you need to audition much more than just those two! :D :D :D

Go shopping, it's fun;)

Ive listened to both of them in Digital Village.....and both sound preety groovy.

I was wondering if any one else had any ideas? And how easy is it to edit the sounds on both those machines?

:)

I have the 1080 and I like it.

You can adjust different parameters and add effects to the waveforms. You can also layer the waveforms to create performances. Additionally, it has four expansion slots for cards that include additional waveforms/patches/performances. Furthermore, there is a lot of web support for it.

Overall, great bang for the buck.

Matt

Well I have a JV1080 and athough the sounds are good its a bit of a pain to get around, saying that Iv got used to it now, but I still wish that I had gone for a JV2080 or the Emu Proteus 2000.

The proteus 2000 in some respects sounds better, more vibrant and sounds much more polished than the JV sounds.

The JV1080 has a nice depth and can sound nice and warm on some sounds which mixes nicely with other equipment.

If it where a choice between the two I would get the proteus 2000 plus and have done with it, and maybe later get a Virus b
which sounds the best VA synth I ever heard.

I hope this has helped?

Danny.

I dont make 2 step or uk garage, but from what Ive heard THE defacto tool is a sampler. Get a sampler and something to sequence it with,thats probably all you need. Again I dont make garage, but from what I understand the people that do use a sapmer. For 600/700 you could get a used akai s2000, and a few sample cd's...cd's that hold over 300mb of sound often, as opposed to 32mb at most in sound modules, the jv 1080 has less than that for sure.
You should rally check out:
www.the-gas-station.com theres a thread about this in their "general" section.
With a sampler you could do crazy things like buy synths off of a classifieds of ebay, sample all the sounds you like, then sell them off for the same price you bought them. Also, you could use your favorite drum sounds from your records.

If you want sounds for basslines:
www.analoguesamples.com

Ps,
I remember you asking about uk garage in the US...
....well, I found a site from my home town of minneapolis dedicated to representing the scene, I cant say I participate in the scene though it does look like great fun.
www.garageand2step.com

Hi :)

Thanks for the response.

I allready have a sampler - Emu ESI 2000. But i was gonna get a module just for some more sounds, but i cant decide yet! hehe.

Robert - Im glad to see UK Garage growing in the US, its defiently big over here (our no.1 is a UK G tune at the moment)

I reckon u should get involved with it mate, its very interesting, and if it blows up big in the US then ur on a winner! What do u make at the moment?

Thanks

djstrutt@hotmail.com

Back