What we produced in our twenties...

linz

This is a worn cassette recording of a rehearsal of my band in 1986 when I was in my early 20s.. Tried to tweak the cassette a bit but still a bad recording.
That being said, the amazing funk/slap bass player Micheal Pawson has now died...so primarily putting it out there for him.
Not to everyones taste, but part of the indie funk scene in 80s England. I wrote music, lyrics and vocals.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not a finished/polished/commercial quality recording, but who cares. I think it's a really cool song. The singing and playing sounds pretty darn good. These are the seeds from which good things sometimes sprout and grow. Someday you might revisit it, rework it, or just leave it as it is as a document of a time, a place and an attitude from your life.

(y)

I agree with Rich. Sounds pretty good for an old cassette. I've got one from '76 done in our drummer's basement. Done with a couple of SM58 room mics in the center of the room feeding a stereo R-R. Except for the lead vocal and rhythm it's all improvised.

Attachments

• Rainy Day Feeling.mp3
    3.7 MB
I agree with Rich. Sounds pretty good for an old cassette. I've got one from '76 done in our drummer's basement. Done with room mics in the center of the room feeding a stereo R-R. Except for the lead vocal and rhythm it's all improvised.
Yeh it's hard to do anything with it other than try to eq and add a splash of 80s reverb.

I agree with Rich. Sounds pretty good for an old cassette. I've got one from '76 done in our drummer's basement. Done with a couple of SM58 room mics in the center of the room feeding a stereo R-R. Except for the lead vocal and rhythm it's all improvised.
Listened to this, the audio is pretty bad..what a shame, cassette players were pretty rubbish, but still great to have and to listen to. Re write it and record it again.

what is the difference between an 80s reverb and the reverb of today?
Ah..well the 80s was the age of new fangled toys and reverb heavy tracks...advent and overuse of Eventide, Lexicon Roland Space Echo..etc etc..big productions and massive reverb on drums...It's pretty much quietend down now..but I really like the massive reverb production of the 80s.

Cool song man

Rare for unsigned bands to have something like what we have from the late 70's..We were one of the lucky ones who actually was video taped back in the day.....

Love the tracks, you are so lucky to have those videos of your band.

Reactions: TAE
Listened to this, the audio is pretty bad..what a shame, cassette players were pretty rubbish, but still great to have and to listen to. Re write it and record it again.
Thank you. I was able to get the original chords and lyrics from our guitarist (originally a collaboration between him and a third party keyboardist). I have hopes of re-recording, maybe next year. Here's something a bit easier on the ears. It's from '82 on a home basement 8-track setup.

Attachments

• Jeannie.mp3
    2.5 MB
Thank you. I was able to get the original chords and lyrics from our guitarist (originally a collaboration between him and a third party keyboardist). I have hopes of re-recording, maybe next year. Here's something a bit easier on the ears. It's from '82 on a home basement 8-track setup.
This reminds me when I was around 12 yrs old...we had some really nice melodic songs at that time in England like this band Badfinger. I bought one of their albums for 50p in a record shop. I absolutely fell in love with this band...sad story to their success or lack of with Paul McCartney involved.. but that's another story. Your music so reminds me and sounds like this band and time.

Are we doing old videos of our bands?
Well "Recordings" both audio and video of the bands we were in when we were young and our hearts were open books//
Frickin poor boys rocked...

Last edited:
Spider and the fly how da do dat?

You were there when they did the video for sure some of the spiders are real, the squishing wit the boot was funny in a weird what the heck did they use to make the goo kind of way....are the rest computer generated CG shit? I have a not so fun LSD story about spiders that a brutha of mine had one crazy Christmas eve night...scary sad shit...with a sort of cool happy ending

Ok and the chicks..are they girlfriends of the band members or models?...they are slightly on the smooth good looking side of life

Ah..well the 80s was the age of new fangled toys and reverb heavy tracks...advent and overuse of Eventide, Lexicon Roland Space Echo..etc etc..big productions and massive reverb on drums...It's pretty much quietend down now..but I really like the massive reverb production of the 80s.
So, in essence, not different, just the amount applied? I got my first band together and married my wife where the pyramids are now.

Reactions: TAE
Are we doing old videos of our bands?

That's not embarrassing and pretty damn good.

Weird, I was bitten on the stomach by a spider yesterday afternoon. Not sure what kind, hard to tell after he got a face full of boot. I'm not normally sketched out by spiders, but was worried and kept an eye out for possibility of a brown recluse, or whatever. I think I'm in the clear, and will be more mindful.

Cool vids. You're bass, yeah? What year?

Back