What was it that helped you learn how to do this? Recommend a book/guide?

MaxPeak

Resolved
ty

---old message---
I have been trying to do this on and off since I was like 18, and I end up not able to figure somethings out that I need to move forward, and get these songs out of my head. Wanting at least close to a specific kind of sound, I find myself chaotically searching through preset generic sound banks, similar to when I was a kid going from one tone to the next on a casio keyboard, then creating something up based on how that un modifiable note sounds.

I really want to keep and strengthen my commitment and motivations, downloading a variety of free trials and doing the same thing with those sounds will not do. I don't know how to use a single plug in (although I have not quite reached the level where I would need to anyways).

I wish to create music. The internet has a lot of knowledge sure, but it is hard to narrow down a direct way to search when my base vocabulary lacks in the respect of home recording. I have a general understanding of some things like soundfont, velocity, pitch, etc, but put a $500 program like cubase in my view and I may end up spending hour's randomly messing with stuff and still not quite sure what to do.

I am sure with knowledge will come a base for intuition. So anyways, how did you all learn?

Last edited:
Do you play any instruments? Do you have any kind of level of music theory. I mean, do you know the basics like chords, notes, etc.....

I learned 99% of what I know 2 ways: Reading posts on this site, and recording, recording, recording. Nothing beats hands on experience. You can read all the books you want, but if you don't have any knowledge of music and go through the whole trial and error process millions of times, you're not going to advance. There are no short cuts and there isn't one specific way to do it.

So anyways, how did you all learn?

Basics.
Put up a mic, plug in a guitar, press REC and play.

I think these days newbs immediately dive into the gazzilion options/plugs you get with a DAW, and they complicate the crap out of recording/mixing process for themselves.

You need to record, record, record, record....and it will come after awhile.

(I didn't even see RAMI"s post before I posted mine....and he pretty much said the same thing.) :)

What those two said ^^^^^

No plug-in and no internet information/tutorial can serve you better than just doing it on your own. Do your own thing your own way with your own equipment.

Well, I can play keyboard, guitar, and sing but the kind of music I want to make depends on me figuring out the technical stuff for keyboard.

If I play mozart all day and read music, I still don't know how to use these programs and plug ins let alone create and organize soundfonts and what not.

If I play mozart all day and read music, I still don't know how to use these programs and plug ins let alone create and organize soundfonts and what not.

And if you don't actually start experimenting, like 99% of us have done, you'll still not know how to use anything. How much does it cost you to screw around in your studio? Nothing? Right. So how can it be a bad idea?

You can ask your question 1,000 different ways. You're not going to get a magic answer. It's all about trial, error, and more error.

Well, I can play keyboard, guitar, and sing but the kind of music I want to make depends on me figuring out the technical stuff for keyboard.

You'll notice you didn't actually say any of that in your initial post.... which was why everyone was saying what they were saying.... it's still not clear. What sort of music are you trying to make? ... what "technical stuff for keyboard" are you talking about?

What have you done so far? Where are you stuck? Details, man...

....also, you don't have to know how every plug-in works. Hell, at first, you don't even have to know how ANY plug-in works. All you need is to know is how to record an instrument and vocal track.

for example I am using a free trial right now. I can only assume FL studio is not considered great anyways but...

The different track options are SMP, INS, MISC, FUNC... Time stretching, precomputed effects, fade stereo, swap stereo, monophonic, + 100 other settings configurations and options that are past anyones basic ability to play a piano. Not to mention 100's of different sounds spread out between 20+ kit directories --

16 point sinc interpolation
multitimbral mode
total recall mode

Vlocity splits
Num Programs..
Max Release
Key step
Samplerate

I guess I am going to need a better manual

thanks for the advice though

I don't even play keys and even I understand what some of that stuff is. Just play with it. Make some sounds. Twist some dials. Try stuff out. Jeez man, we have to tell you to play with your gear? That's the fun part. Get to it.

FL Studio, if I understand correctly, is more about making beats, or doing dubstep type music - is that what you are trying to do?

No attempt to provide enlightenment to people trying to help.

I'm calling "troll"...

Hmm, I didn't get that out of this. More, in a subject that's new and wide open like this until you've gotten into it a ways you don't even know what questions to ask, where to start focusing.
But true, that's the process- you jump in, then as you chip away at the basic parts, then slowly the picture gets clearer as you go.

The different track options are SMP, INS, MISC, FUNC... Time stretching, precomputed effects, fade stereo, swap stereo, monophonic, + 100 other settings configurations and options that are past anyones basic ability to play a piano. Not to mention 100's of different sounds spread out between 20+ kit directories --

16 point sinc interpolation
multitimbral mode
total recall mode

Vlocity splits
Num Programs..
Max Release
Key step
Samplerate

I guess I am going to need a better manual

thanks for the advice though

Like was initially stated........basics.
You don't need to know ALL of that stuff ^^^ up front, in order to record, or even to record well.
Start with the old K.I.S.S. rule....and slowly (or as fast as you feel comfortable), explore the various tools/options.

I get the feeling that you think you need to first learn as much as you can about all these things in order to record...but you don't....and no matter what kind of music style, the simplest recording approach tends to yield the best results 9-out-of-10 times.

Also...a great deal of what you mentioned above seems to be about MIDI and synths/keyboards....which isn't really about *recording*.
So if you need to first get comfortable with that stuff....then do so, and then keep the recording options simple and basic to start.

im sorry i don't have terminology down to ask correctly, but in better news you all have provided some answers of what I need to get started. I am still seeking out a book/guide but experimentation and research, trial and error are not bad suggestions either. If I were to ask one most specific question I would ask what software I should use.

What I am primarily trying to do
Create, and/or modify sounds - perhaps even a sound bank of custom sounds / drum kit
Use the audio or midi in the program controlled by my keyboard (which is a midi controller)

This software I need is also capable of multitrack recording

I wish I could convey this more clearly, thank's for any level of tolerance and guidance you have :)

What I am primarily trying to do
Create, and/or modify sounds - perhaps even a sound bank of custom sounds / drum kit
Use the audio or midi in the program controlled by my keyboard (which is a midi controller)

This software I need is also capable of multitrack recording

See, this is probably why people are having trouble. I don't think I know of a single DAW that isn't capable of quote, "modifying sounds" and using a MIDI controller, as well as multitrack recording, That's why everyone is telling you to read the manual for your DAW because that's going to tell you how to do those things.

i guess what had me blocked was thinking I had to develop and use midi, midi fonts, sound banks, sound fonts, GMI's etc etc - Well I know wav files, they are pretty straight forward.

Messing around and committed half of the day I have discovered WAV files can too be played from my keyboard in different notes.. Thank.. God... for this.

You all are right - and I have found that I may never need to worry about midi... I have a history with this struggle and it is over now. At least I mean I have found the starting ground. I know how to tweak wav's but I didn't know the midi controller would process them as notes.
runs off to test out all kinds of **** - finally

Last edited:
i guess what had me blocked was thinking I had to develop and use midi, midi fonts, sound banks, sound fonts, GMI's etc etc - Well I know wav files, they are pretty straight forward.

Messing around and committed half of the day I have discovered WAV files can too be played from my keyboard in different notes.. Thank.. God... for this.

You all are right - and I have found that I may never need to worry about midi... I have a history with this struggle and it is over now. At least I mean I have found the starting ground. I know how to tweak wav's but I didn't know the midi controller would process them as notes.
runs off to test out all kinds of **** - finally

Well I don't want to further confuse you but it is unlikely that you are "playing .wav file from the keyboard".... More likely the keyboard is sending MIDI data to your soundcard/AI and THAT is generating .wav data which in turn is D to A'ed and produces sound.

It is however possible that you have a synth that produces audio and you are recording that in the DAW. Please give us make and model number of keyboard and the interface (if any) you are using*.

DAW software? IF you have an external interface is it most unlikely NOT to have come with some recording software, very often a cut down (but nonetheless very useful) version of Cubase. Now, if you are exploring MIDI you could not have a better DAW than Cubase. If you don't have a hardware freebie then there are two approaches to choosing software..
1) Pick one, Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, Samplitude di-da. Then buckle down and learn it to the exclusion of all others. This method has the drawback that not all DAWs are equal in the sense that none do everything and some do somethings better than others. If you lock yourself out from all but one, you will never know what you might be missing!

2)Download the trial versions of the various DAWs and spend a day or so with each. You are looking more at the basic "nuts and bolts" of the software. How easy is it to set up inputs and outputs? (e.g. In Samplitude, PofP in Cubase rather more of a trial) can you export .wav/MP3/MIDI files easily? Within a week you should have a good idea of how a DAW "works". Not in any great depth of course but you should have formed an opinion as to which is the easiest FOR YOU to work with.

*If "I" ran a forum I would have few rules but two would be inviolate. You MUST tell us....

Country of origin (10/20)

What your equipment list is...Preeeeecisely!

And until I had that information you would get Jack S information from ME!

Er? Anyone know how to change the oil filter on MY car please?

Dave.

Back