What unit should i replace my present set-up with ?

rxkevco

Hi all , ,
First of all let me say that i cannot play piano and am only a tinkerer with my present set-up keys although i use them on most of my songs in one form or another. I also only have a bare, basic understanding of midi.

I have a Yamaha DGX 500 keyboard which i bought soley for the lovely grand piano sample, although the strings and one or two other sounds are more than acceptable.
I also have a Korg MS 2000 synthesizer and an M-Audio oxygen 61 midi keyboard. The m-audio is for some of the software synths that i have like my B4 organ.

I am shortly going to be coming into some money as i am about to be ill health retired from work at the tender age of 45.

I am allowing myself between £1000 and £1500 to spend on a single keyboard that would be a replacement for the yamaha and korg keyboards that i presently use.
I dont mind wether this money is spent on a brand new or a second hand keyboard so long as its money well spent.

I also dont mind if i am advised to purchase a software synth package although i am one of those people that prefer to have knobs and dials to play with !
I record my own music using a boss BR1180 cd digital recording studio, and i also have a little used 64 bit, quad core DAW with 8gb of ram,running cubase 4 which i am hoping to start using properly when i retire. I am finding it hard to pull away from the Boss studio as its so easy to use and i still have a fear of learing cubase properly but i constantly crave more than the 8 tracks the boss unit allows me.

What sort of workstation or keyboard should i be looking at getting my hands on , , i need a few ideas and recommendations, preferably with reasons why !

A must, is good grand piano and string functions.

Hope someone can advise me and help guide me in the right direction as i dont really know much about keys and synths and what is out there on the market.

Many , many thanks, kev

Last edited:
Hi. Software wise I would recommend Ivory or Acoustik Piano.
Hardware wise, I'd recommend some of the Kurzweil line, or the yamaha s90 series...Here are some other yamaha and kurzweil links:
http://www.yamaha.com/Products/DigitalPianos.html?CTID=205600
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/ProductPortal.php
hope that helps...
The S90 would be a great choice - great piano sound and keyboard action, and PLG board expansion capabilities - the only thing you have to do then is buy the AN card and you have your MS2000 sounds covered (in fact improved upon IMO). Or you could go the CS6x route - a great all-round synth and a passable sampler with two plug-in slots which you could, again, use to add virtual analouge synthesis and better piano if you're not happy with the on-board samples.

Back