what type of soundproofing should I use

Supapowa22

I"m trying to turn my once garage..now somewhat of a Den into a place where I can record my band. I'm just wondering what is the best stuff I can use to improve the acoustics because right now they suck..plus the neighbors get pissed at the loud ass drumming...I"m looking for something I can soundproof it with and improve the acoustics...the room is about 20X20 and about 15 feet high or so...do I have to spend thousands of dollars?? I"m looking for a cheap way of doing it so I can get rid of those annoying echoes....any suggestions???

Well, for one thing, if you don't have it already, put down some carpet, all over the floor of the room. You can also build you a drum riser. What this is is, A 1 foot high platform for the drums to set on. This Riser will defuse the low-end that can travel through the floor. If you have enough money, you can get you a drum Sheild to go around the drums. It will knock off alot of sound but if you want to sound proff your whole room, then you would probily have to tair out the walls and do this:

Put thinck sheet rock behide the wall that is on the outside.
Cover that with insalation, but leave about a 1 1/2' gap about every 2'. then cover that with another thinck sheet of sheet rock. then for your new inside wall, use dry wall. Then cover that with carpet of carpet pading. (i use carpet pading for my studios and it works real well. you can get scaps at a carpet store real cheap. or just buy it new.) When you do the cealing, sound proof in the same way that you did the wall, but when you do the inside wall, don't cover the whole thing with carpet pading. to much carpet pading can suck out the high-end and have a dull muffuled sound. I would sugest cuting 18' x 3' sheets of carpet pading and space them about 3' apart. and when you do your floor:

Put down sheets of sheet rock, enough so that it will cover your whole floor, and then lay carpet pading over that, another sheet of sheet rock, another sheet of carpet pading and then the capet.

I saw this done on Home and Garden a few weeks ago.

ZEKE

Well, if your watch your spending and keep it cheap, i'd say mabye $500 to $1000. But before you start construction, ask a trained professinal that you can trust if my instructions are correct and will make the room sound proff. Although i'm pretty sure that it will work, i don't want you to spend your hard erned money on something that may not work for you.

"Better safe then sorry"

Good luck friend

Zeke

Back