What to use to "plug" (sound proof) a window?

Jason James

Hey Guys,

Anyone know what to use to plug a window to keep sound from going out/coming in. I don't care about seeing thru it just want to kill the sound. I'm thinking about just using Celotex or Drywall and boarding them up and caulking them in. I know there is comercial stuff you can buy, but I'm on a tight budget. How about Celotex and some 1" insulation etc? Any direction would be great.

Thanks

Jason

I'd get a sheet of particle board, or MDF and cut it to the size of the window, glue some insulation on one side and press it up against the glass and screw it into place. Seal around the perimeter and that's it ;)
If you need more reduction repeat it on the other side of the window.
cheers
john

Window Plug..thanks john

Hey Thanks John

Any particular type of insulation? And should the insulation touch the window or face the room?

I was thinking about using wonderboard or durock or celotex against the window, caulk it into place then put another sheet of wonderboard etc. caulked into place flush with the wall. This should leave an air gap which (from what I've read) should help too. Would this be better? Any opinons? Other Ideas?

Thanks
Jason

Jason,

I built a removable plug out of 2x3's and MDF. The 2x3 frame sits just inside the jams. The MDF panel is oversized with rubber garage door seal material to seal against the wall surrounding the window. I filled the gap in the 2x3s with OC-703 insulation and put a couple of handles on the outside--works great.

Alex

Thought it was, until a hearty slam of the studio door disloged it and delivered a glancing blow to our guitar player's shoulder. Now it's held in place by a couple of rotatable stays attached to the wall. I can post a picture if you like.

Alex

Back