what to use? SP C1, Rode nt1, at 3035 or what else

abm123

I am buying a studio condenser mic and i have 200 dollars for one but i dont know which one to buy. I have looked into it and those 3 seem like the best choices but i would like any suggestions.

vocals

i will be using it for recording vocal tracks. Sm57s will be used for guitar and drum mics for drums.

Its like buying three pairs of new shoes. They all fit different, and all are good.

All of your choices will work...which one will you like best, and which one will work best in your enviorment is an unknown. Do your best to try them if you can, and then you can make a choice. Otherwise, you simply have to go for it and choose one.

You could get a used SM7 for under $200. This is a versatile vocal mic that takes to EQ very well. I have also used the MXL v67 on vocals and it works pretty well.

All I know is that, of the three, the NT-1 is probably about the least useful.

I might even go out on a short limb :D . . . and say it's just plain bad.

Just one guy's opinion. I do know guys who have it / use it / like it.

What is the most economical. Several ppl (tweak from tweakheadz.com and friends) say that the C1 has such a good sound it has been compared to the neumann U87. Others say that the 3035 (guitar center, sam ash) is the best good starter studio mic for vocals. (cakewalk help, and local studio ppl) like the nt1 for starters but i am really looking for a great mic that i wont have to replace for a while. Also who makes the sm7 and where can i find it. <br>

While we are on the subject of mics what is a good drum mic package for around 300-350.

Personaly I love my AT3035. But my friend bought the C1 and it works great on his voice also.

Like Alan said - they are all very good for the money.

here is the deal it is probobly down to the c1 and the 3035. I can get a 3035 for 160 shipped and the c1 for 200 shipped. Is the c1 worth 40 dollars more if you are on a budget?

abm123 said:
here is the deal it is probobly down to the c1 and the 3035. I can get a 3035 for 160 shipped and the c1 for 200 shipped. Is the c1 worth 40 dollars more if you are on a budget?

The AT3035 is a good mic and sold by way more dealers than the Studio Projects are. We, Studio Projects do not sell to Guitar Center and Sam Ash, so you can find more agressive deals on the AT both in stores and on line. Either way, both mics should do what you ask of it. If you get the 3035, be sure it comes with a shock mount, as the C1 does.

Service is also a big issue should something ever happen to your mic. We are well known for our excellent service, and I am sure that AT take care of business as well. So good luck with you're decision..... Both mics should work well for you.

abm, another option within the Studio Projects line, is to consider the B3 multi-pattern mic also. IIRC it runs about $160 or so.

Whatever condenser(s) you choose, try the SM57 on vocals too.

It basically has the same capsule as the SM7, minus the on-board EQing options. Similar tone, kind of like a preset SM7 with a strong presence peak.
You can , however, mic it to one side of a singer to smooth that out a bit.

IMHO SP's service outweighs "which mic", especially when you're starting out.
(although I like and respect AT quite a bit too)
Who else can we bug as much! :>

Chris

I could not disagree more about the SM7/SM57 comparison. The SM7 is much, much smoother than the 57 on vocals, and much fuller on guitar cabs. The price difference between the two mics says a lot, IMO.

now this b3 mic... When would i use those other audio patterning options and would it make that big a difference. Why doesn't the more expensive c1 have that as well. I wont be recording multiple singers at a time so would omni really help? and i have never even heard of figure 8. I read a review and it talked about some german sound... i dont neccessarily want a "german" sound whatever that is.

abm123 said:
now this b3 mic... When would i use those other audio patterning options and would it make that big a difference. Why doesn't the more expensive c1 have that as well. I wont be recording multiple singers at a time so would omni really help? and i have never even heard of figure 8. I read a review and it talked about some german sound... i dont neccessarily want a "german" sound whatever that is.
The pickup patterns help you acheive different sounds. Sometimes different patterns have slightly different frequency responses. With the omni pattern you'll get more room sound, and with the figure 8 pattern you can do M-S mic'ing. Do a search on M-S.

German sound is a nearly meaningless term. They're trying to imply that they sound a little like vintage Neumann and AKG mics, which all sound drastically different. It's a bunch of marketing crap.

cominginsecond said:
I could not disagree more about the SM7/SM57 comparison. The SM7 is much, much smoother than the 57 on vocals, and much fuller on guitar cabs. The price difference between the two mics says a lot, IMO.

I agree. I don't care what they say about them using the same diaphragm, capsule, bla bla bla bla.

Use your ears. They just sound different.

I like the SM57, too, but once you try a decent condenser, you'll hear the detail that you've been missing. It really depends on the style of music how much detail you want.

The quality and type of preamp makes a big difference, too. At each stage, there is an opportunity for distortion and loss of fidelity, and when you combine a low fidelity microphone with a low fidelity preamp, you're really losing a lot of information. That's why the SM57 CAN sound really great when using a high end preamp. That's why I will use condensers for vocals, but dynamics for other instruments where detail isn't as important. That is, until I can afford a Grace Designs 101...

second, a combination of mic placement and EQing will make a SM57 sound a LOT like a SM7. In a studio situtation, unless the singer/SM57 combo is a direct hit, the SM7 is less of a PITA if you're going for a smoother sound vs. cutting through a heavy mix.
I totally agree that "out of the box" the SM7 is a faster way to go for that.

There is also a budget alternative in the Beyer Soundstar MKII which has a smooth tone quality like the SM7. Also called the Model 400 or M400.
Comparable in sound quality IMHO.

Lance, you may want to try the new Joe Meek 3Q sometime.
I think the mic pre section seemed to be on the same par as a Grace.

I'm waiting for the sixQ as it has the "iron" feature which will be interesting to use in conjunction with various Unidyne microphones at home, along with
other additional features.

Chris

Back