What to do with old adats??

getgo

Now that everyone is switching to other recording media, what the heck are we gonna do with all the old adats? I have three but I plan to keep one for remote recording but three??

Old Adats

Sell off the pair that you don't need anymore to someone who could use a cost-effective 16 channel digital recording system.
Not everyone is ditching their ADATs or ramping up to the HD24; some of us plan to keep using our old ones.

I loaded mine into a road case to do remote recording. I don't sell anything anymore. I'm a pack rat as well as a track rat.:D

Leave 'em in your studio rack, with all tracks armed (but never roll tape).... mult the sends to your new HD24 over to the old ADATs...

Makes lots of blinking/bouncing colorful lights... clients love lights :)

You'll also need to keep them around for when people start reminiscing about "how warm those old ADATs were..." and how "they actually sound better than any of this new digital media crap" :) (HEAVY on the sarcasm)

Velvet

Which part is true?

1) Clients love lights?
2) Old ADATs sound "warm"?
3) Old ADATs sound better than new equipment?

I'd have to say personally the following:

#1 - ABSOLUTELY... even engineers love lights... come on fess up people!! More gear! More gear! More gear!

#2 - My black face sound good, but I don't really notice them sounding any "warmer" than my HD24

#3 - See #2 :) I love all of my ADATs (3 black face and 1 HD24)... but I must say I am sold on the quick locates of the HD24... can't tell you how much time that cuts of projects for me to not have to wait for tapes to rewind etc before making another take. The editing features (even from the front panel) are fantastic too... I managed to save a bunch of boo-boo's that otherwise would have stayed on the project (had I only been able to use my black face machines)

Velvet

This is really a problem, as computer equipment, including ADATS, are considereed hazordous waste now. But in the spirit of musician brotherhood, I would like to announce my latest altruistic venture.

BDGR's Musical Hazardous Waste Disposal.

All you have to do is box it up, and send it to me, BDGR, and I will store it in my new facility. Dont risk your studio becoming a superfund site, send them today.

Yeah, I thought about packing them away somewhere and waiting for the big vintage adat revolution!! You know darned well that someday, people are going to be going nuts over these things when they find some alternate use for em'

when the 'rookies' comes over to your studio...and honk about "tape warmth"...yank out a ADAT tape, and point to the rack (that might need dusting), and tell them that is why your rates are $25/hr more than your competitors, but you have ALL the bases covered. Then swing around in your computer chair and proceed with the session with nary a worry that your beloved ADAT's are depreciating at a rate that you KNOW is ungawdly....(don't show 'em your 1/2" eight track that's in the attic now, and your crappy little TASCAM 1/2 track):eek: :eek:

Back