What to do with Input chain to DAW? Opinions please...

mamm7215

Hi, I've recently upgraded my vox/bass input chain to an MPA Gold/PRO VLA and my guitars are through my Boss GT-8. Problem now is that my mixer into my M-audio Audiophile 24/96 is a Berry UB1202. It was fine (cheap) to start with but now I'd like to upgrade, probably to a mixer or interface with S/PDIF out to bypass the cards ad/da converters (not that they're bad). Also, I'm currently stuck with using the channel strip on the Berry and even though I've got the pre-amp turned right down and just using the fader in, I'm wondering if I'm "really" bypassing the board's pre-amp anyways? Any thoughts on a mixer/interface to fit the bill here? I'm considering the Soundcraft M series as it's got S/PDIF out but it's only 44.1khz and I'd like higher if possible. Thanks much in advance.
M

mamm7215 said:
I'm considering the Soundcraft M series as it's got S/PDIF out but it's only 44.1khz and I'd like higher if possible
The Soundcraft M series are excellent boards for the money. In fact, they would be excellent at twice the price and competitive at three times the price.

44.1kHz is the CD sample rate and even if you do get a board with a higher sample rate that's not necessarily going to improve the quality of your recordings.

The Soundcraft M will be a HUGE jump over where you are now. I recommend you buy the board and use it for a while before you decide that a higher sample rate is the weakest link in your audio chain.

Thanks, yeah I record in 24/96 right now, mostly because I can. I was going to do my next song in 44 just to see if I could tell the difference. I know the M series is a great board, light years over what I've got now.

You might want to think about upgrading the soundcard only. Get something a lot better. Then run your input channel directly into the soundcard, bypassing the mixer entirely. There's no need for a mixer to be in the signal path when recording. A new soundcard and recording direct will be a far bigger upgrade than the one you are considering now.

SonicAlbert, thanks. That was the other option I was considering as well, just bypass the mixer, except I'd need at least 6 inputs. The Delta 10/10 would do it but that's basically the same card I've got now with a breakout box. Any recommendations? Thanks again.

If your computer has firewire, something like the Mackie 400F might be good. It has four preamps, but it also has four line level inputs. So you could add external preamps as you need them.

There's also the Presonus Firepod. A friend of mine uses that to record his drums and has said nice things about it.

I use a MOTU Traveler, which is Mac/PC. I use a Mac and it is great with my iBook. Not sure how the PC drivers are, you'd ahve to research it. I do love the Traveler though.

Back