What to do with $300 - classical recordings

Herr Joachim

A friend of mine has a Korg D1200 mk2 recorder, but no mics or preamps save for the internal ones (which do provide phantom power).
He is looking to make recordings of solo piano and chamber music. I suggested maybe getting one nice LDC or SDC for now,
and buying another of the same brand later. Or buying a pair of SP C4's or AT ....'s, and sell them later if he finds he needs better mics.

What do you suggest?
Advice is much appreciated. Have a nice evening.

Nothing under $300 is worth much of anything in terms of classical recordings. Save up and invest in some quality transparent equipment.

I agree, when it comes to classical, you want good mics. Especially since its going to be a stereo pair, the cheap mics can get awfully shallow and hollow sounds when used for that.

if you have a nice acoustic environment and good instruments to work with, you could try a matched set of naiant msh-1's and a stereo bar for well under $100 and see how it sounds. if it doesnt' work, you'd be able to move those at a minimal loss (they're cheap to start). if you liked it, get an m-audio dmp-3 or a couple of rane ms1-b's to upgrade on the pres. if you don't like those, again you could move them at a minimal loss.

Well, given the budget and assuming "wait and save" is not an option, a few MSH1s as a spaced pair (and maybe a third as a center channel) or as a Jecklyn disc might work reasonably well. Just don't get omnis too far from the performance in the room or you will often get too much room in the mics.

As a Korg D1600mk user, my suggestion is invest in the best mic's you can afford now. The built in pre-amps on the Korg are equal to or better than the "inexpensive" outboard pre-amps available, so don't spend your money there at this time. The problem with the internal pre-amps is getting the proper gain, either too much and clipping or not enough. A little frustrating, but with patience you can get a good signal level.

Learn what the Korg can do, then once you "feel the need" to improve your overall signal chain, the sky is the limit for outboard gear!

Read this if you get only 1 mic.

If you decide on just 1 mic, find the sweet spot, lay down and record on track 1, copy the whole track to track 2. Now delete (not erase) .004 from track 2, rewind to start of the song, pan 1 left and 2 right and your ears will be pleased.

Good luck, Charlie

In his autobiography, Frank Zappa claimed to have scratched his U47 for a boundary mic on a (2-ft?) square of plexiglass. I believe he stated that he placed the mic/plexiglass a few feet above and centered among the seated musicians. I don't recall which recording this was. If it was the Yellow Shark sessions---do it!

Maybe someone else recalls?

Paj
8^?

For $300 max, I would consider a pair of Oktava MC012's, preferably modded. If you want to get one mic, with the plan on getting a second when funds are available, I would go for an AT 4030, 4040, etc.

if you have a nice acoustic environment and good instruments to work with, you could try a matched set of naiant msh-1's and a stereo bar for well under $100 and see how it sounds. if it doesnt' work, you'd be able to move those at a minimal loss (they're cheap to start). if you liked it, get an m-audio dmp-3 or a couple of rane ms1-b's to upgrade on the pres. if you don't like those, again you could move them at a minimal loss.

+1 .

Back