what to do when the mixing guy is dragging on your project...

dontouch

Last September I commissioned a local freelance mixer to mix a 4-song ep. Six months later, I'm still waiting for the last song. Is this the norm for unsigned artists? Granted it was a mistake not giving him a deadline, I just didn't think it'd take 6 months to mix 4 pop songs! I've been very patient to him but deepdown I'm anxious! But I don't want to breathe down his neck. Apparently he's overwhelmed with projects and he had apologized for it. I feel so dejected that I don't know what's the proper thing to say or do in order to get him to finish as well as maintain a positive vibe. Advices?

Did you pay him for the work? I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a much shorter completion time. I'd get someone else to do the last song if you haven't paid him for it yet. And try to get your money back if you have paid.

Just mixing? It shouldn't take more than a few days per song at most.

It also shouldn't matter if you are unsigned or not. Aren't you paying his regular rate the same as everyone else? How did 6 months worth of "other" projects all end up ahead of yours?

That's exactly what deadlines are for. You can still give him one now.

Just mixing? It shouldn't take more than a few days per song at most.

It also shouldn't matter if you are unsigned or not. Aren't you paying his regular rate the same as everyone else? How did 6 months worth of "other" projects all end up ahead of yours?

That's exactly what deadlines are for. You can still give him one now.

I just wanted someone other than myself to mix the songs... But he did some production stuff(arrangment,etc) that really made them a LOT better. So...in that sense, he's kind of a producer?

Initially I had no idea of his rates. He asked 'bout my budget, I told him and he offered a 50% discount. I thought that was very nice of him.

But as time went by, I felt maybe his slow turnaround was because he wasn't getting paid full price. So I offered to pay him full when he's done. It ended up being a 25% discount and I paid the $$ as a "hurry up, please". I guess he didn't get it bc that was three months ago. It only inspire him to get the 3rd song done, minors the revision...

I just want some clarity on this. Even though I'm paying 75% of his full rate, does it still justified 6 mo. wait? Do I have the right to be frustrated?

if you paid, you deserve the same service as everyone else, regardless of how much you paid him. Sounds like he wants the money though... 50% got you 2 songs, another 25% got the third....

Just send him a polite message saying you're planning a release of these songs at X day/month and is the song near completion. Sadly some people are slow and if you don't ask, they won't say anything. You have every right to ask

My old band recorded an album with a producer in a pro studio, at mates rates. Big mistake. We waited months for a result and the result was very sloppy. We got the files and mixed it ourselves in the end.

Yup, if you've paid him 6 months is totally unacceptable. Give him a deadline and if I were you, I'd let him know it's not cool to stringy you along like this.

Bad form on his part.

Cheers :)

Never pay until finished and satisfied, all the discount in the world won't make up for never getting the product.

However also see what is going on with him, I had a client that stopped coming in to work on his project, I thought he had changed his mine about using my studio, works out that he got very sick and spent the next 6 months getting well, so you don't know what is going on in peoples lives that slows them down.

Alan.

Never pay until finished and satisfied, all the discount in the world won't make up for never getting the product.

However also see what is going on with him, I had a client that stopped coming in to work on his project, I thought he had changed his mine about using my studio, works out that he got very sick and spent the next 6 months getting well, so you don't know what is going on in peoples lives that slows them down.

Alan.

Yeah that's the thing. Apparently he's been getting big projects involving national-acts/famed producers, and $$$(hopefully). Lots of all-nighters... Everytime we met up, he looked very unhealthy and in need of sleep. Who am I to tell him to hurry up for a nobody like me. I just think maybe it's bad timing on my part. SO now, he probably regrets the deal but obliged to work on it. I just pray that he finish it soon and not get sick because of that.

He declined my offer of full $$, said 75% was 'perfect'. :confused:

It's very simple.

Let's say he would usually do it for $100. He told you he'd do it for 50%. You gave him $50, you got two songs. You offered more. 25% more. You gave him $25, you got a third song.

Seems to me like because you aren't paying him his usual rate, he is putting off your project in favor of those paying him in full. It's not very honest, especially if he told you he would do it for cheaper than his usual rate. You deserve the same speed and quality of service as anyone else handing him money for a product.

Some people don't see it that way, however.

Do you mean don't pay anything up front?

If so, that's not really how business works. I run a studio and I have payment policies. When you book me, if you want to secure your desired time frame with me, a 50% deposit is required. This is non-negotiable because just as the client doesn't want to be strung along, neither do I. The deposit is to protect my interests and to make sure the client is getting what he is paying for without hassle. Upon delivery of the final product, the other 50% is due. It goes two ways. When I get the money, the clients gets his product. This is also not negotiable, and is why I don't give out rough mixes.

I've dabbled with other payment schemes over the years, but this one works best. It just protects the interests of all involved.

I just want some clarity on this. Even though I'm paying 75% of his full rate, does it still justified 6 mo. wait? Do I have the right to be frustrated?

Putting myself in the other guy's shoes for a second, I have in the past dragged heel on creative projects in the past when I've had too much on and, even though I offered a massive discount on my prices, I wasn't offended when I was asked if I could speed things up a little. It all depends on how you ask - and if you're polite and respectful (which you seem to be) then I don't see too much of a problem. If he takes offence, then that might be more his problem though you might be doing him a favour by hurrying him along. I tend to work much faster now but I know how easy it is for them little jobs to end up on a seemingly endless backburner, if no one speaks up (usually because they're scared to ask). So don't be.

Hope this helps

Dr. V

Do you mean don't pay anything up front?

If so, that's not really how business works. I run a studio and I have payment policies. When you book me, if you want to secure your desired time frame with me, a 50% deposit is required. This is non-negotiable because just as the client doesn't want to be strung along, neither do I. The deposit is to protect my interests and to make sure the client is getting what he is paying for without hassle. Upon delivery of the final product, the other 50% is due. It goes two ways. When I get the money, the clients gets his product. This is also not negotiable, and is why I don't give out rough mixes.

I've dabbled with other payment schemes over the years, but this one works best. It just protects the interests of all involved.

Just to clarify my statement, don't pay the full fee up front, it would be like "I want to build a house", the builder wants the whole amount paid before he starts. Ho long do you think it will be before the house gets built? It will never be finished.

My policy of charging the clients is to receive the payment for each day worked as the project goes along, at the end when the project is finished final payment is to be received before the final mixes, masters, files are handed over. However this is not strict, if it's an ongoing project and I know the client well I will often let them rack up an account that they can pay off along the way or at an agreed later date. The point I was trying to make is that the project dontouch is talking about is handing over full payment (Minus discount) for something that has not even been started, there is no incentive by the guy to get it finished as he has the full payment.

alan.

6 months for 4 songs? That's insane...
Signed or unsigned makes no difference. Payment is payment.

Last September I commissioned a local freelance mixer to mix a 4-song ep. Six months later, I'm still waiting for the last song. Is this the norm for unsigned artists? Granted it was a mistake not giving him a deadline, I just didn't think it'd take 6 months to mix 4 pop songs! I've been very patient to him but deepdown I'm anxious! But I don't want to breathe down his neck. Apparently he's overwhelmed with projects and he had apologized for it. I feel so dejected that I don't know what's the proper thing to say or do in order to get him to finish as well as maintain a positive vibe. Advices?

Back