What to do: Sell PC, buy a Mac or not

Martijn_76

Hi All,

I'm about to start playing around with home recording and might need some advice on wether I should use a PC or a Mac.

I currently have a Macbook Air (i5,4GB,SSD, 2012-model) and new built quiet PC (i7-4770, 16GB, SSD, etc) which is great but somehow I keep looking at Macs instead. I thinking of selling the PC and buy a Mac Mini Server instead. Would this be worth the premium price (probably around + 300-400 euro's) or should I just be happy with what I have and keep using that :)

I have not finally decided on a DAW, but thinking about using Reaper.

Other equipment/software I have:
- Fatar Numa Master keyboard 88 weighed keys
- Novation 49SL MKII
- NI Maschine MKII + 2.0 software
- NI Komplete
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
- M-Audio Studio speakers

Since I'm just starting out I could see how far I get with the MBA ofcourse and go down the mac mini-route a little further down the road.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Yeah, that's not the problem, in fact the Apple hardware is way less powerfull :) but the small formfactor and OS may be more home-recording suitable and enough for my needs. I can sell the PC for around 850 euro's now... I should be able to get a Mac Mini for that price and pay something extra for a nice display

Windows and Mac OS X are both suitable for recording. Choice of DAW is more of a factor, i.e. one or other might suit you more. You already have the PC, Reaper is free to try. Install it and have a go.

I think it's a preference call that only you can make.
All the responses here are fair, but I can see the appeal of a mini too.

Whatever you go with is going to be powerful enough.

The real downside to a mini is that you'd have to crack it open to put an SSD in there. (or pay apple one hundred million dollars for one)
If you're not prepared to do that I'd stick with your current setup.
You don't wanna go back to spinning discs man!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies; I might just stick with the PC then (unless I get an offer I can't refuse) and keep the MBA to play around with as well.

I expect a refresh of the Mac Mini products in the upcoming months so that might be a good time to reconsider if thing don't work as well as I expect.

Back