what to charge to record a gig

spacedye

Vest
hello peoples....
heres a question.
what would you charge to digitally record a 3 piece band doing a show for about an hour?
also, what are your hourly rates and what equipment do you record to when charging that rate?

thanks!!:)

OK. You're going to record a 3 piece band, at a show, for an hour.

There are SO MANY things to consider when setting a fee. Let's look at some of them:

1.) It sounds like a remote location, so you'll have to travel. Is it far? How long will it take you to get there? You'll need to go in early to set up too.

2.) How long will it take you to set up? You'll need to do sound and level checks. How long do you think that'll take you? When the show's over, you'll have to tear down and pack out too.

3.) The show's over, and you have your tracks. Now you need to mix those tracks, fine tune them, and master your work. 1 hour of music. That could take a while! Consider that time as well.

That's just a few things to consider, but let's start there:

Travel time to and from.
Minimum 1 hr.

Pack in, set up, sound check.
I'd consider 2 hours for that, but alllow for more if possible.

Recording time.
1 hr.

Mix and "master" the tracks.
That's hard to estimate. I've spent an hour on a 3 minute song, and thats when everything went smoothly. There are folks that would consider 1 hr per minute to be the norm.
You could easily be into 20 hours on a project like that, and I'd guess it could end up being more like 40 or 50 hours. Maybe more.
1 hour of music is album length!

Given all that, you can see how you could easily be involved in this project from 25 to 50 hours, and maybe even more.
What's your time worth to you?
Obviously you want to be profitable, but you don't want to charge SO much that you're not competitive.

It seems like the going rate, around here is anywhere from $30 - $50/hr for digital recording, depending on the facilities. Remote recording, usually sits somewhere in the lower end of that scale.

Using those figures, that puts you somewhere around $1500-$2000 for the project. Not a bad fee for a weeks worth of work, but can the band afford it? Or can they only afford $800? $600? less?

Set your rate, but if you want the job, be flexible.

I gotta agree with Mike on this one...

It also depends upon what the band wants. Do they just need the recording... or do they need post-production work, as well?

Are they wanting something to sell, or are they looking for something to use for personal feedback of their performance?

Are you doing a live stereo recording, or are you using multiple mics and tracks?

Back