What the hell is wrong with my Cubase Sx 2

fluxburn

I don't understand what the probelm is. I have a nice legit copy of Cubase Sx 2.0 Some projects I load have 0% cpu, ie small ones with no effects yet. Other projects I do have 15-20 tracks with no effects yet and boom, 40-50% cpu gone on my 2.4ghz p4. What the hell is the probelm?

I've noticed that also with mine. The more audio tracks I add, regardless if they have any inserts on them or not, the more my CPU monitor goes up. I have a 2.6 ghz with 1gig of RAM.

It's never been an issue for me yet so I just figured it was something normal..

it is really annoying when it bumps up to 40% then you dump a plugin a 5 then one makes it jump up to 80-90% and it is not stable anymore.

I hate going past 50%, since it fucks up my audio (ie clicks and pops) past 80%

CPU usage directly correlates with track counts and plugin amounts. Thats just all that much more the CPU has to process. Certain plugins, specially some of the reverbs like SIR are heavy CPU users. You can gain some resources back by doing sub mixes (save the originals tho ... you may want to go back and make changes) and mute the original tracks or remove the originals from the project.
Example: Save all the original rhythm section tracks to a backup location then in your project do a sub mix of all the rhythm tracks to a stereo track. Then mute or remove the originals so that data isn't being read, therefor the CPU doesn't need to process all that info too. Now continue with your project using the newly created stereo submix as your guide.

-Ken

I don't always trust the Cubase readout. Just do a Ctl + Shift + Esc and view the Windows Performance Monitor. That'll give you a much more accurate reading (also make sure to set the readout speed to Fast)

Something is wrong. I have a new Athlon 64 bit processor with only 512 megs of RAM. I have been running at 24 bit 44k with an average of around 40 tracks, several busses, several midi implementations, maybe about 50 or 60 insert plugins, 3 to 6 auxilliary FX channels (often times 2 different convolution reverbs running at full quality) and my meter has yet to go above 50% with NO pops or clicks. I am going to guess that some users have other things in windows that are activated somewhere that are stealing resources. Also, I even let my antivirus and my system cooling options run in the backround with no problems.

Hey dude.....Nice post! I have an Athlon 64 3.2 and I haven't had any trouble? What bitrate are you using....this takes up CPU. Watch what plugins take up more CPU as well...I know that Antares Auto-tune takes up a lot...Some do, others don't....I usually think the directx plugins take up more CPU, but I am not sure? Do as another user said and look in your task manager to see if something is using up your CPU? Hope this helps! :)

Lorde said:
What bitrate are you using....this takes up CPU.
Of course, you meant bit depth or word size............ the term "bit rate" only applies to compressed audio/video formats and represents the number of bits converted per second (which has NOTHING to do with whether a recording is 8/16/24-bit.......!)

xstatic said:
Something is wrong. I am going to guess that some users have other things in windows that are activated somewhere that are stealing resources. Also, I even let my antivirus and my system cooling options run in the backround with no problems.

I second that.

I am kinda the resident "computer guy", and I cannot tell you how many people bring their computers to me and tell me they are slow, or won't hardly work anymore. When I look under the hood, they have WAY WAY too many things running that they don't even realize are running.

Make sure you shut off EVERYTHING that you don't need. You should have approx 25 proccess running under XP. I have seen computers with well over a hundred running just after startup (before starting any programs).

Besides, even if that doesn't do it, your computer will run so much better, and FASTER!

NL5

Yeah, I know I could trim it down, but I do everything on here, and it is running WAY fast (overclocked), I have never hit over 10% in cubase, so it's not an issue.

I meant it should be no more than 25. Most people have between 30-50. Like I said, I have seen OVER a hundred.

BTW - Those are excellent sites. I have used black viper many times.

NL5

Yeah it can be a toss up for some .... as they may only have one machine, whereas I'm fortunate enough to have five. In which two are strictly devoted to DAW application.
Never the less, one can greatly increase their computing experience by trimming some of the fat off the OS and still maintain complete functionality for all their applications.

Back