What strings do you recommend for...

crgl

...my Ibanez Artcore AFS75T full-hollow guitar ?

https://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=artcoreafs75t8io.jpg

It has D'Addario .10 to .46 that came with it.

The sound I get is not too bright ( although this I was told also has to do with the fact that it is a hollow guitar ).

I would like to know if there are strings that can make my guitar sound a little more brilliant .
I use a Boss GS-10 guitar multieffects and when I use overdrives the sound gets muddy.

Thanks.

Last edited:
strings are tricky...
cuz they're so personal.

i like the ernie ball slinkys....

but i've also used the d'addarios....

snake oils.....

crgl said:
...my Ibanez Artcore AFS75T full-hollow guitar ?

https://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=artcoreafs75t8io.jpg

It has D'Addario .10 to .46 that came with it.

The sound I get is not too bright ( although this I was told also has to do with the fact that it is a hollow guitar ).

I would like to know if there are strings that can make my guitar sound a little more brilliant .
I use a Boss GS-10 guitar multieffects and when I use overdrives the sound gets muddy.

Thanks.

Stainless steel strings will help a bit (SIT Power Steels, Daddario XLS, GHS Supper Steels, etc.). Don't expect it to make a night and day difference, though. It's a lot more subtle than that.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I think Dean Markleys Blue Steel, has some brilliance to them, allthough they might get to bright :)

Ghs Boomers have nice ring to them, thats what I currently use :)

Why does it seem like folks believe ernie balls are crap? I have used them for years. I used Dean markleys and D'Addarios for short periods, but I really hate the way they pack the strings in their environmentally friendly way. I like for each string to come in its own envelope. My wife bought me a box of d'addarios for christmas or something and I can't really tell a difference between them and the EBs except for the envelope thing.

Pyramid compressed flat wounds .10 set. They are not cheap but sound awesome and will last forever. They are handmade in germany. The Beatles used them. I use them on my 1958 Gibson es125tdc. I wouldn't use anything else. Perfect for semi hollow or hollow body guitars

mustang said:
Pyramid compressed flat wounds .10 set. They are not cheap but sound awesome and will last forever. They are handmade in germany. The Beatles used them. I use them on my 1958 Gibson es125tdc. I wouldn't use anything else. Perfect for semi hollow or hollow body guitars

Except that flat wounds are not going to get him a brighter tone, but just the opposite.

And by the way, what the fuck is this obsesion with how long strings last, anyway? Guitar strings are cheap. Buy the ones that sound best, and buy new ones when you need them.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

cephus said:
Why does it seem like folks believe ernie balls are crap? I have used them for years. I used Dean markleys and D'Addarios for short periods, but I really hate the way they pack the strings in their environmentally friendly way. I like for each string to come in its own envelope. My wife bought me a box of d'addarios for christmas or something and I can't really tell a difference between them and the EBs except for the envelope thing.

Where exactly do you see anyone say anything of the sort? They make fine strings. Hell, I sell them, and other than Elixirs, I like all the strings I sell. (Just too damn many people having to go somewhere else for their Elixirs, I had to start carrying them). So it wasn't from me, I hope.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Maybe the fender forum or something. I think the search function on this board isn't easy for someone of my limited intelligence to operate.

I want to send a letter to Ernie himself and thank him for the past 25 years of faithful service to me and my crap guitars. I'd also request that they do like dean markley and make the label a sticker because it's a work of art. Especially the green of regular slinkies.

jndietz said:
I personally like Elixer .10s :) I recently bought these and I think I'm hooked :D

oh no! another one bites the dust.........

ghs boomers (10's) here. also, fender bullets for a completely different sound than the boomers.

I don't like Elixir's electric strings but I'm a big fan of the acoustics. Other than that, pretty much all the D'Addario, Gallistrings, Dean Markley, Boston etc coated strings just suck.

I like Gibson Brite Wires a lot on electrics, and although I don't like how they feel or look, Dean Markley Blue Steel strings are actually quite bright in tone.

What makes fender super bullets sound different? I mean, I know they have some weird end or something. What is different about the sound?

cephus said:
What makes fender super bullets sound different? I mean, I know they have some weird end or something. What is different about the sound?

I'm not sure about the construction of the strings but they sound twangier. If that's even a word. Try some out some time. They sound alot different. I don't notice such a big difference in sound between boomers, slinkies, and daddarios although i do hear a difference. Just not as big as the difference in bullets compared to any of the others.

TravisinFlorida said:
oh no! another one bites the dust.........

ghs boomers (10's) here. also, fender bullets for a completely different sound than the boomers.

Are Elixers bad...??? :confused:

I used Ernie Ball .10s before these.

In case you cant tell yet, the point is you have to buy 4 or 5 different sets, all the same gauge, and just decide for yerseff which ones you like on yer guitar with yer amp.

Choose from whatever is available on the store shelf where you live. It's not like people drive a couple three hours to another city just to get the strings that somebody recommended on the forum...... and when yer friends are listening to your cd in the car, they wont all of a sudden turn around and say, "Jeeeez, Dude, you used those stupid Elixir's on this song, didn't you? You freak. Whatdya do THAT for?"

Just buy some strings and try 'em, if you dont like 'em buy different ones and try 'em........repeat until you like 'em.

I was actually playing that exact same guitar at the music shop yeaturday, and from I can remember it didn't have a bright sound either, so I don't think your going to get a big difference from strings. If you wanted to experiment you could stick a pair of .11 or .12s on there to get a different sound, or to really go all out, stick some Elixer .12 acoustic strings on there. My buddy did that with his electric guitar and he got a different sound. Although the nickel wound ( thicker 3) strings did not get picked up as loud as the 3 smaller strings.

soundchaser59 said:
"Jeeeez, Dude, you used those stupid Elixir's on this song, didn't you? You freak. Whatdya do THAT for?"

That sounds like something I might say. :D

I agree. Buy and try different strings until your happy. If you end up happy with elixirs, clean your damn ears out!

guitarist_44 said:
I was actually playing that exact same guitar at the music shop yeaturday, and from I can remember it didn't have a bright sound either, so I don't think your going to get a big difference from strings. If you wanted to experiment you could stick a pair of .11 or .12s on there to get a different sound, or to really go all out, stick some Elixer .12 acoustic strings on there. My buddy did that with his electric guitar and he got a different sound. Although the nickel wound ( thicker 3) strings did not get picked up as loud as the 3 smaller strings.

I would'nt go throwing drastically bigger or smaller guage strings on your guitar without a proper setup. You'll throw your guitars setup out of balance which could affect action, intonation, and you could even bust your nut. :eek:

Last edited:
Back