What soundcard is the next "step up" from a Delta 1010?

walkinbass

I'm shopping for another soundcard. I've almost decided on the Delta 1010. They are quite popular around this forum and seem to be a solid unit. But before I buy, I want to look at all options..... so, I am wondering what else I might consider if I find a little more cash for something a bit further up the lader.

I run on PC platform (1.4 AMD). I don't need midi. I'm basicaly looking for a soundcard with high quality AD/DA converters. I have a Mackie 1604, so I don't need basic onboard pres. 8 in 8 out min.

Opinions anyone?

the 1010 has very high quality converters...if you wanna get much better youd have to do with standalone A/D D/A converters such as Lucids and a good wordclock like a Lucid Gen6......

i think there might be one other card but i'm not sure, but the only card that i know of that has better converters than the delta 1010's is the Staudio System III... it uses some of the best crystal converters.

Dont take baby steps. Motu 1296. And its sexy, too.
Motu 1224 is pretty nice too, and I think may be a little cleaner than the Delta, though its hard to say. YMMV, but the 1296 is a killer setup..
The new WamiRack 32/196 is sposed to be the nutsack, but I havent heard it. It has like 124db specs, too, supposedly the best converters avail commercially right now, and its brand new.

I beleive, in this and all other gear categories, that a modular approach is always the way to go. I always get 'peices' so that I can improve the components as further tech developments are made.

In that vein, I dont buy multi-effects.. I dont get boom box style stereos.. and I dont go for soundcards with integrated a/d converters. Instead, my soundcard is simply a TDIF interface. It accpes and sends 16 channels. There are a couple.. and they are pretty simple. With that, you can get some shitty converter now.. then sell them and get something nicer... or get nice ones now, and get even NICER ones when they come out. Never change your card.. just get better converters. Leave your TDIF or Light pipe card in.
for converters.. I have liked the sound of these, though my exp w/ them is limited: http://soundscape-digital.com/Products/iBox8XLR24/Specs.asp

xoxo

the reviewer who said that the delta 1010 was the best sounding card also said that the motu 12i and 1296 sounded a litlle bit better.

YOu know they cost an arm and a leg more though.

The lynx one also sounds a tad better, but costs almost as much for only stereo i/o

I have worldclass lucid ad and genx6, and the difference between the delta 1010 is VERY minimal.

Someplace was doing a blowout on Motu 24i for like $400.. thats 24 inputs, folks... but on ly two outs. Two outs? ick, but thats lotsa inputs. Plenty.
Ask on the Sonar newsgroup, thats where I heard about it a few weeks back.

A/D - Swissonic or RME or MOTU

Hello, for a long time, i am asking, looking for a better a/d converter. and
dont know what to buy.

should i buy the MOTU 2408mk3
or the RME multiface
or the SWISSONIC ad 24 mk2 with rme DIGI9636

you use any of this brands ?

Back