What soundcard can I use ??

CrimsonWarlock

I have my new DAW up and running, except for the audiocard (currently using on-board audio). There are some specific things I want/need so hopefully you guys can give me some pointers (preferably based on personal experience).

This is what I need:
- 24/96 recording capability
- STABLE ASIO drivers for WinXP (Pro)
- Latency at least below 20 millisec.
- a fair pricetag (duh...)

What I don't need:
- multiple ins/outs
- a breakout box (the comp is going to be inside a sound proofed case)
- fancy bundled software (unless it's Samplitude :))

For compatibility, here's the spec for my DAW:
- MSI K7D-master Mobo (AMD 760 MPX chipset)
- dual AMD MP2000+ CPU
- 512 Mb RAM
- WD 60 Gig HD (7200 RPM, NTFS formatted)
- Matrox G550 dualhead videocard (2x 19 inch IIyama monitors attached).
- Win XP Pro

I like to hear about experiences with AMD/WinXP -based systems (especially for the drivers/latency), but every advice is very welcome and appreciated up front.

Peter.

I wont believe nobody here is running a DAW with AMD processor(s) and WinXP.

I do not have the option to try out different audiocards and return them to the shop, so I need advice on the subject before I shell out the money.

So please tell me what card you use and what results you get from it.

Peter.

whats a fair price to you?

- 24/96 recording capability
- STABLE ASIO drivers for WinXP (Pro)
- Latency at least below 20 millisec.

but no
- multiple ins/outs
- a breakout box (the comp is going to be inside a sound proofed case)
- fancy bundled software

you aren't gonna find many cards.. its better to have a sound card with a breakout box, b/c the converters are usually inside of the breakout box.
if 599 is ok, get a delta 1010...though you don't need muliple i/o's

let us know your price

Let's say that 350 is my limit (for now) because there are some other things I like to get soon (like a set of Tannoy Reveals Active and a Samplitude license).

I have a Behringer mixer (small one, Eurorack MX802A) and I will only record one source at once, so that's why I won't need multiple IO. I thought about multiple IO to be able to mike a drumkit, but that needs a bunch of good mikes too. I have a Alesis D4 lying around and someone pointed me towards using a Pintech kit to drive the D4 and do it all digital (my studio is completely VSTi driven btw).

The thing I'm concerned about most is latency under WinXP. There are some latency tables available around, but they not yet do include WinXP information.

Peter.

I have the STAudio c-port,but it is multi ins,breakout box etc.They have a value-priced 24bit/96KHz ASIO drivers soundcard for about a hundred bucks.Here's the ad copy.

DSP24 Value

The DSP24 Value is our new and very affordable professional 24bit/96kHz recording solution. This card is probably the most affordable 24bit/96kHz recording solution on the audiocard market today. The card is based on the hard- and software of the existing and sucessful DSP24 series of products.

Together with Logic SoundTrack 24 from Emagic the DSP24 Value is the optimal product for your first step into professional digital recording. The card supports 24bit at 96kHz with excellent audio quality and perfect frequency response. Two analog input and two anlog output channels with RCA connectors open a wide range of connection possibilites in home and studio envrionments.

-
The device driver provides the same professional functions of our other DSP24 series products: perfect support for Windows 9x/ME and Windows 2000 including functions like ASIO 2.0 and GSIF (with multiclient-support) allow you to use the card with all common audio applications. With the low latency of just 2ms (at 96kHz and 5/6ms at 44.1/48kHz) the DSP24 Value is perfectly optimized to be used with modern software synthesizers (such as GigaSampler, GigaStudio or VST Plugins like PPG Wave or Model E) because you can play your sounds in realtime now. You can even use effect plugins (DirectX or VST) in realtime.

With the included AC-97 Codec and it's DirectSound support you can even replace the basic functions of a normal soundcard.

The optional DSP24 Value Bracket provides digital I/O connection possibilites (S/PDIF optical & coaxial) as well as one MIDI I/O port.

Specifications
Features:

2 channel ADC (dynamic range 100dB[A]) via RCA input connectors

2 channel DAC (dynamic range 110dB[A]) via RCA output connectors

optional bracket with digital I/O (coaxial and optical S/PDIF) and MIDI I/O

systemsound-/monitor-output (1/8" mini-jack)

internal analog input for CD or aux signals

direct monitoring for input signals (zero latency, by hardware)

internal mixing, routing and monitoring software provided

Logic SoundTrack 24 (24bit/96kHz powerful recording software from Emagic) included

drivers for Windows 9x/ME, Windows 2000, ASIO 2.0 (latency can be lowered to 2ms), GSIF (GigaSampler/-Studio)

Controller Chip & Converters:

DSP24 Value card uses the IC Ensemble Envy24 I/O controller chip (ICE1712)

AKM AK4524 24bit/96kHz Codec for analog in- and outputs

DSP24 internal I/O for standard windows system sounds (mini-jack on card) uses SigmaTel STAC97xx 18bit AC-97 Codec (ADC & DAC) 95dB output S/N ratio (a-weighted)

Please contact your local distributor for informations about pricing and availability!

Reviews
The german KEYS magazine had a detailed look on the DSP24 Value in their December 2001 issue: "Exemplary is the implementation of the multiclient-support (...) on the DSP24 Value." / "(...) is the good deal DSP24 Value with solid configuration a recomendation for price-aware Windows users."

The australian PC User magazine tested the DSP24 Value in their October 2001 issue. As a result, the product received the PC User best buy award!

PCM, the dutch magazine had a look on the DSP24 Value in their October 2001 issue: "This is a fine soundcard for the high demanding semi-professional." / "If you are looking for a good multitrack-harddiskrecording card for little money, this Hoontech (ST Audio) card is the right choice."

The dutch PC Active magazine reviewed the DSP24 Value in their september/2001 issue: "When you want to make music on a professional level, this card is an excelent choice." - as a result, the DSP24 Value was the only card in the test that recieved two pluses for soundquality and for the total result in the test.

Andreas from TweaMax had a very detailed look on the DSP24 Value. You can read the complete review here. His comments: "2ms @ 96KHz!!! Need I say more?" / "Among all the hardware I have tested I must say that this is one of the most fantastic products I have ever seen." / "Exceptional latency response"

Thanks guys,

I think I'll go for the audiophile. Got several pointers to that card on other forums too. It seems to have issues with particular mobo's (related to VIA chipset maybe ??) but it seems to be fine with my mobo. I'm going to locate a dealer where I can bring my system and test it on the spot. Seems the best way to go at it ;)

Peter.

Back