what sound card

jape

Hello,

I am using a Creative Soundblaster card at the moment but am looking for something different. I want something that has good conventional sounds like piano etc as I don't use synths that much. Important sounds to me are piano, oegan, strings, guitar, drums, bass Someone recommended -Native Instruments Komplete Elements - to me but it seems that this is no longer available. I would be grateful if anyone can suggest an alternative. Thanks in anticipation.

Elements is certainly still available.
Cakewalk's Dimension LE or Pro is another good direction.

You will not find recording soundcards with instruments 'built in'.
The 1980 midi set in Soundblaster is for gaming.
You need to get a decent card and software vsti's.

Heres a starter guide

Thank you Tim, I appreciate your help, I will check out the starter guide link you supplied, I'm afraid I know very little about pcs and am at the moment not absolutely clear as to where the instrument presets come from. Do Elements and Cakewalk have conventional instrumentation? I just need something similar to what I have already but with better quality that is hopefully not too expensive. Am also looking at the -Tascam US122 Mk IIUSB Audio/MIDI Interface, I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this as well if you could.

Thanks again.

You misunderstood his point altogether. If you want to get high quality instrument sounds, you don't need a new soundcard. I know what you're thinking - you want a soundcard with better default MIDI sounds. Forget all that. Seriously. That's all way, way outdated and you'll just waste money.

What you need is a host program for virtual instruments and then you can pick and choose exactly what sounds you want for each instrument. This is all software that will work with any soundcard, so drop the notion of sounds being tied to a soundcard. What you do is record or program your midi tracks then route them through the virtual instruments. There's a ton of hosts for VSTi's (you're going to see that term a lot... equate "VSTi" with "specific instrument sound" in your mind). I normally recommend Reaper, but their MIDI support is actually pretty crappy from what I understand - I guess look into Cakewalk as Tim recommended.

You misunderstood his point altogether. If you want to get high quality instrument sounds, you don't need a new soundcard. I know what you're thinking - you want a soundcard with better default MIDI sounds. Forget all that. Seriously. That's all way, way outdated and you'll just waste money.

What you need is a host program for virtual instruments and then you can pick and choose exactly what sounds you want for each instrument. This is all software that will work with any soundcard, so drop the notion of sounds being tied to a soundcard. What you do is record or program your midi tracks then route them through the virtual instruments. There's a ton of hosts for VSTi's (you're going to see that term a lot... equate "VSTi" with "specific instrument sound" in your mind). I normally recommend Reaper, but their MIDI support is actually pretty crappy from what I understand - I guess look into Cakewalk as Tim recommended.

I agree with you about 'forget all that'. One thing to note is that the guy has been using a GM soundset. Probably used to it. If he wants a REAL upgrade (spend some money), but continue to use General MIDI and have his mind blown at the same time this is a vsti to check out

East West Quantum Leap Goliath | Sweetwater.com

39 GB Sample set and General Midi compatible.

Thank you fellas, like the man wearing surgical boots I stand corrected. I have since read up on all this a bit more and with that and your much appreciated help I now understand things more clearly.

Back