What sound are we looking for?

Apple

I use Sm 57 mics on my snare and toms and I don't know if I'm recording at too high a level, but I don't like the sound I get. What I get thru the overheads sounds like the actual drums. How close to the actual sound of the snare and tom does the 57 get? Or are you just trying to move some air with the Sm 57 track. Sm 57 colors the sound of my amp and when I've used it on a saxaphone. I've got to be doing something wrong (i just started recording drums), but I keep turning the trim down on those mics but my meters aren't registering distortion-granted they probably can't react fast enough. Any ball park figures on where the trim should be and what peaks my meters should read on my HD-24. I do compress, but sparingly.

Apple said:
I use Sm 57 mics on my snare and toms and I don't know if I'm recording at too high a level, but I don't like the sound I get. What I get thru the overheads sounds like the actual drums. How close to the actual sound of the snare and tom does the 57 get? Or are you just trying to move some air with the Sm 57 track. Sm 57 colors the sound of my amp and when I've used it on a saxaphone. I've got to be doing something wrong (i just started recording drums), but I keep turning the trim down on those mics but my meters aren't registering distortion-granted they probably can't react fast enough. Any ball park figures on where the trim should be and what peaks my meters should read on my HD-24. I do compress, but sparingly.

You don't mention your mike position on the toms, but I'd guess it's pretty close and thus you are getting a lot of proximity effect. In addition you're only getting a part of the drumhead's sound. Usually you don't mic toms unless you want one of those sounds.

As for the snare, try moving the mic up a little.

We can't tell you where to set your trims because there are far too many variables. However, on an HD24, shoot for peaks at -6dBFS, which I believe is +13dBu for the HD24.

When you smell the wood of your monitors

I have the mics pretty close, I actually use clips for the snare and floor tom. I turned down the trim event further last night and it sounds much better. Angled them so they don't pick up the other drums very much which is good. The peaks just where you suggested.
Here's something for you. When you smell the wood of your monitors, then you're moving some air. Maybe too much air.

I have found the closer to the snare you place the mic, the more atack, but less decay. Not sure if this is meant to be, but it happened with me.

Back