What software, sound card +others

Doug

I'm sure it is all there, and it is a really excellent site, but sometimes I get lost in the technical talk and I was wondering if anyone could give me a straight answer for my questions.

Thanks

First of all I'd like to thank those who have answered my previous questions.

1. What soundcard is the best on the market for home recording at the moment. I have up to $400 but I wont spend that much if it is not necessary. Also, would there be anything wrong with using the SoundBlaster live from CL?

2. What is the best software for my PC for both audio and MIDI files? I'm also not sure what the packages (like Cubase and Cakewalk) do. Do I buy my own mixer and compressor and feed everything via them to the sound card or does the software do the functions of these for me?

3. Also - What is a preamp rather than an amp?

Many thanks in advance

PS. Does anyone know of a good publication/book/magazine where I can get my newbie questions answered without bothering you guys?

Try reading the actual site at https://homerecording.com especially the FAQs and using the search facility, and you will have all your questions answered right here as well as 2 dozen others you haven't thought to ask yet!

doug ,

1 . for $400 bucks , you can get a great sound card... the old event darla has 2 ins and 6 outs , and is about 300 bucks... but for another $40...you can get the event darla 24... which is the old darla except it has 1/4 inputs in its own break out box..and a few other technobobble improvements.... which are worth the 40 bucks..( www.bpmmusic.com ... darla 24 $340 and FREE shipping )... there is also the aark direct...this one sports 2 in 4 out.. but also has 2 xlr inputs.. im not sure.. but i think the price on this one hovers around $350.. im going for the darla 24 myself...

before you make any decisions go to www.event1.com and www.aardvark-pro.com and do some research on the two...

2. as far as software goes... everyone praises or gripes about the features of cakewalk and cubase and so on...its all a matter of preference... download all the demos you can get your hands on , play with them all...and buy what your comfortable with...

3. a preamp is just that... a PRE amp.. its what you use before your amp to give the signal a boost before final amplication in your amplifier... pre amps are usually used for mics... all other audio devices ( tape decks , cd players )can usually get by using their built in preamps...

p.s. go to waldenbooks and search through the magazine section , but...if you ask me..your wasting good hard earned cash.. most magazines have web sites with all their articles posted anyway... besides , master the search on this site .. whenever you dont understand a term , just punch it into the cute lil box and hit enter..

i know the feeling your going through , you just wanna plug some stuff into your puter and start recording.. but your better off researching first...and this site is the best i found... its the only way to learn with out screwing everything up first.. god i hate learning from my mistakes... you the search you lazy bum !!! :o)

- eddie -

as far as getting info on recording, i'd use this site mainly...and flip thru the following magazines : home recording, eq, keyboard, electronic musician..i doubt you'll find any good books on digital home recording cause the techonology is evolving at an exponential rate....

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 08-03-1999).]

Why does nobody seem to see the wonders of a lovely (and cheap) program called N-Track Studio? It has everything you could ever want in a recording package..

I've heard N-track is really wonderful, but it won't run at all on my system, so for me it's not that wonderful.

Back