What size for controlroom, and studio?

Stubby03

I am going to be building a home studio in my pole barn. I will have a 24 x 10 space to work with. Wish it was bigger but that's the way it works out. What size should the control room be. The rest of the space will be the studio. I am just using it to record my bass, guitars, am also going to get some electronic drums. Our band has a bigger space that we jam in and record acoustic drums/guitars. This is just for my use. Thanks

With that available room, just make one big room, dividing it will give you two too-small rooms - you don't need a separate control room if you are only recording yourself.

With that available room, just make one big room, dividing it will give you two too-small rooms - you don't need a separate control room if you are only recording yourself.

/\/\/\/\/\/\
What he said.

1 larger multipurpose room is better than 2 smaller rooms. Imagine pressing record and then running to the other room to perform. It's a pain. Unless you have a remote keyboard or an remote app on your Android or iOS device. It'll also save you money to buy more gear/ acoustic treatment.

I think that is a good size room for a control room, I would use the 24x10 space as an open plan kind of studio where you do eveything, record, mix, master e.t.c, you really don't want to ruin the space by creating tiny boxy sounding rooms, as long as you treat the large room well with acoustic treatment it could potentially be really good.

OK thanks for your input. I was going to have our guitar player do some recording in here. I would like to have some separation to hear what sound exactly is going into my DAW. You guys still say one big rom?

I like the one room setup, personally. A single room will never be perfect for both a live room and a control room (different acoustical goals for each) but I think that for a single person in a home studio, a separate control room would be a pain to work in. Maybe some of the guys here who have separate live/control rooms will chime in with any benefits for a one-man band and how they manage two rooms as one person.

Some headphones with decent isolation should be enough to allow you to make good decisions when placing mics and dialing in an amp. The bass frequencies are tricky for me since you feel those more than hear them when you're wearing headphones.

Back