What should my next step be?

buryher17

Hey guys,
I'm looking to buy something new for the rack. I'm not sure what would be my best next step. What would anyone suggest?

Right now my rack is this...

Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
Digital Art MPA Gold
VTB1 Preamp
Samson 4 channel headphone amp
(2) Art TPS 2 Channel Pre amp (not mine but I have it in my rack for a while)
Korg DTR2 Tuner
BBE Sound Enhancer
Alesis DM5
Alesis 3630 Compressor
Alesis Midiverb 3
ART 15 Band EQ
Samson Wireless Sm58 Mic

With my alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 mixer all in a 48 space striaght/ slanted rack.

I was thinking maybe upgrading my compressor? headphone amp? I'm also looking at the anatares vocal producer?

Thanks guys (and gals)

Yo Buried one...:D

I'm thinkin I'd go with MOFO's call and get a RNC. I think you'll outgrow the BBE in no time if you haven't already, the 3630 isn't as good as a RNC...not by a long shot (imho, of course ;) ) The ART EQ, I think, is gonna add a bunch of noise the more tracks you use it on.

Just my take man.

Meh on the RNC. It's alright, but for a real swiss-army compressor I'd be looking at the Empirical Labs Distressor. It's expensive, yeah - but it's well worth the wait. Save up yer money.

...With my alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 mixer all in a 48 space striaght/ slanted rack...

You have a 48 space rack? Dam, that thing must be tall.

Anyway, I would start investing in monitors, room treatment, and mics. Perhaps even a patchbay or a central i/o switch. What are you recording on?

Hell, welcome to the nightmare where the gear never ends.

Meh on the RNC. It's alright, but for a real swiss-army compressor I'd be looking at the Empirical Labs Distressor. It's expensive, yeah - but it's well worth the wait. Save up yer money.

I agree on the RNC. I like it, but it's not my most flexible compressor by any means.

Frank

I agreed that the RNC is pretty transparent, and not as flexable, but it still is a solid piece of gear.

The distressor is awesome, but I think he's now full of low end gear and that would be like him putting 22" chromies on a Geo Metro. Plus I doubt (no offense) that he would be able to get the most out of that pricey piece of gear at this point.

I would +1 on MOFO

I'd agree with getting monitors if you don't have any, or possibly looking at a better interface than the multimix.

As for the Antares Vocal Producer... I've heard good and bad. I have no personal experience with this unit, but have been told it is VERY VERY difficult to get dialed in with the limited interface. Whereas their cpu plugins are a much different beast altogether.

Back