What should I learn?

AyaiZafri

Do you know how to put rythm on a piano chords? I mean, instead of just pressing one chord to another, I want to spread the chord.. or maybe spread the notes I guess :facepalm::facepalm:

I don't know how to explain but is it piano improvement? Or maybe piano accompanient? I found those lesson on Youtube, but I'm not sure if that the exact things I want to learn that can solve my problem right now.

Maybe you should get private lessons. It's going to be hard for us to help you with something so vague over the internet. Maybe If you posted some specific songs it would make it more clear what you are asking.

This ^^^^ go and get lessons, you cannot learn everything on youtube. Can you ask the youtube teacher questions, youtube cannot see how you are going and offer suggestions.

Alan.

Do you know how to put rythm on a piano chords? I mean, instead of just pressing one chord to another, I want to spread the chord.. or maybe spread the notes I guess :facepalm::facepalm:

I don't know how to explain but is it piano improvement? Or maybe piano accompanient? I found those lesson on Youtube, but I'm not sure if that the exact things I want to learn that can solve my problem right now.

When you say "spread the chord" and "spread the notes," it sounds like you might be talking about "arpeggios" or "broken chords." "Arpeggio" comes from "harp," and apparently refers to the way the notes of a chord are played at different times rather than all at once when the strings on a harp are strummed or plucked.

The most basic type of arpeggio is where you "roll" your hand when playing the chord, so that the notes are quickly played one after the other, similar to the way a chord sounds when a guitarist strums across the strings. This is usually done left-to-right, such that the lower notes are played before the higher notes, and is written as a chord with a squiggly vertical line immediately to the left of the chord. But it can also be done right-to-left, such that the higher notes are played before the lower notes, in which case a downward-pointing arrow is drawn in front of the squiggly line. In both cases you hold the keys down after you play them-- i.e., you do play the notes together as a chord, you just don't strike the notes at the same time.

More advanced or complex arpeggios can also be played, which usually involves playing the notes in some repetitive sequence, such as up-down-up-down (e.g., C-E-G-E, C-E-G-E, etc.). In this case the notes are played separately rather than being held down after they're played, so you aren't playing them as a chord per se, although they're usually notes that would form a chord if they were played together.

Arpeggios are an extremely common technique when playing synthesizers, although they aren't usually played "manually"-- rather, a built-in pattern sequencer is programmed such that all you need to do is hold down a note, or two notes, or a chord, and the synthesizer will play a pattern (i.e., arpeggio) based on the notes you're holding down. Portable electronic keyboards (Yamahas, Casios, etc.) will often include an arpeggio function that can be used with a variety of pre-programmed arpeggio patterns.

When you say "spread the chord" and "spread the notes," it sounds like you might be talking about "arpeggios" or "broken chords." "Arpeggio" comes from "harp," and apparently refers to the way the notes of a chord are played at different times rather than all at once when the strings on a harp are strummed or plucked.

The most basic type of arpeggio is where you "roll" your hand when playing the chord, so that the notes are quickly played one after the other, similar to the way a chord sounds when a guitarist strums across the strings. This is usually done left-to-right, such that the lower notes are played before the higher notes, and is written as a chord with a squiggly vertical line immediately to the left of the chord. But it can also be done right-to-left, such that the higher notes are played before the lower notes, in which case a downward-pointing arrow is drawn in front of the squiggly line. In both cases you hold the keys down after you play them-- i.e., you do play the notes together as a chord, you just don't strike the notes at the same time.

More advanced or complex arpeggios can also be played, which usually involves playing the notes in some repetitive sequence, such as up-down-up-down (e.g., C-E-G-E, C-E-G-E, etc.). In this case the notes are played separately rather than being held down after they're played, so you aren't playing them as a chord per se, although they're usually notes that would form a chord if they were played together.

Arpeggios are an extremely common technique when playing synthesizers, although they aren't usually played "manually"-- rather, a built-in pattern sequencer is programmed such that all you need to do is hold down a note, or two notes, or a chord, and the synthesizer will play a pattern (i.e., arpeggio) based on the notes you're holding down. Portable electronic keyboards (Yamahas, Casios, etc.) will often include an arpeggio function that can be used with a variety of pre-programmed arpeggio patterns.
I think this explained everything I want to know.. Thank you :)

Also - for rhythmic sections it's also how you move from chord to chord, so it's quite usual for there to be 'passing notes' that lead from chord to chord, and for beat, you might (in a C Major chord) use your thumb on the C for beat 1, but the E and G unbent two, or more often shabby syncopated bits. Or you can change the inversions on the beats of the bar, or .....

The thing with youtube videos is that even if they show you a great trick for Song X, can you devise one for song Y?

Music isn't about copying, it's about understanding the theory, working out how it happens and using these building blocks to create new feels. I'm a bass player, and if I'm not careful, I find myself playing bass lines in my left hand, when I should be supporting the chords above - so a 'real' pianist might have root and 5th in the left hand and the different thirds, fourths, sixths and sevenths in the right - spreading the chord out much more widely than a 1-3-5 in the right, root in the left - which can be a bit dull and unmusical sometimes.

Yaww guys. Can anyone tell me how to play piano like this video? I know keep practising but what should I practice? Hehehe . This is what I meant by spreading the chord. Or maybe melodic things, I don't know... Please excuse my silly questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K70jwKsA51A&src_vid=iOafM92HPO4&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3991313377

Refer to answers 3 & 4, its like saying, OH! I want to base jump, I have watched the youtube video so now I know how to do it, except I can't land without killing myself. I am not being a know it all, but if you want to learn the piano correctly get lessons.

Alan.

Back