What should I know about Rack Computers?

justwantyou2kno

I want to get a rackmount chasis for my computer. I'm not very computer savvy, what questions should I have answered about my computer so I can figure out what chasis will do. Will I be able to move the insides of my computer to another chasis with limited knowledge about computers? Is there a chasis out there that'll fit almost any computer, so I don't have to deal with investigating which one I need? Thanks for any help.

,Nick

What you need to know about rack computers is....
that a lot of those cases are deep, often too deep (like 20'') to be mounted in a lot of music racks.

Make sure it has sufficient power. If you are driving an AMD machine, be sure to have a minimum of 350w, and have an approved power supply.

I looked at the rack chassis, and was annoyed by the high price and huge size.

Consider a desk top chassis, as it is probably narrower than a 19" rack, and could be secured to a standard rack tray fairly easily. A desktop chassis is oriented correctly for the floppy and CD drives, and it would simply sit in a 19" rack.

I'm taking this approach for rack mounting my DAW that I'm building.

I think a rackmount can be good. I'd mount one in its own mobile rack though. I wouldn't put a mic pre, compressor, or converters near one. As christiann noted, watch the dimensions.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

Rack mount PC's are not built for what we have in mind. They are for open framed relay racks. I have one and it's very deep. I never intended it to be mobile. It's in a 7 foot tall server rack. I have various other static things like power amps and the like in the same rack. Very sturdy and impressive looking but not portable at all.

It's not uncommon for them to be without power supplies. Look at the gauge of steel that it's made of. You will regret flimsy construction.

Cheers, RD

Back