what should i go with?soft synth,or synth module

DAB

currently im using cakewalk pro 9,and the yamaha xg-50 driver.i love the sequencer of cakewalk and would like 2 continue to use it.i want more sounds,i would like 2 be using high quality sounds like korg or you know,proffesional synth sounds.

1.are there any good soft synths,and are they used the same way as the xg-50 driver(choosing the sound through track properties)

2.ive heard that soft synths are "slow"....what is meant by this?

3.can you effectively and easily hook up an external synth module via midi cable to your computer and have your sequenced song from cakewalk play the sounds you select on your module....how does this work and what settings are involved?

4.im also considering getting a roland pc-200 mkII controller along with a module.but still would like 2 use cakewalk for sequencing.

5.factor number 5 is that i plan to do digital recording into my computer.could i run a midi sequence from cakewalk out to a module,from there the sound into my mixer and back into my computer for recording all at once????

thank you for reading my situation...what i would like to know is what you all would reccomend based on your knowledge and experience

thanks

DAB, I can give you some advice, but my experience is limited.

1. There are lots of highly regarded soft synths: Retro, SuReal, Reaktor, Rebirth, Reality, VAZ, Generator. Cakewalk will allow you to select your sound source.

2. Your xg-50 probably has both hardware driven synth and soft synth. My SB Live does, and it's not slow. Most music/recording software uses gobs computer memory and CPU resources and can cause latency (or other)problems if your computer doesn't have enough power. So, if you are going to use your computer for music, be sure it's up to the task.

3. I use MIDI two ways. First, I enter notes into my sequencer realtime using a keyboard controller. Second, I score the different tracks of a piece of music into the sequencer, and assign each track an instrument (patch) from my sound module. In Guitar Studio, each track allows me to select the sound source (channel), the port (sound module/synth), and the patch (instrument).

4. Yes, you will use Cakewalk for sequencing. BTW, if you are going to buy sound modules, you can buy decent MIDI contollers for around $120--Evolution MK149, e.g.

5. MIDI is not sound, so you cannot record it. What you can do is record digital audio into the same musical piece using seperate tracks. For example, let's say you have an untitled song. On tracks 1,2,3,4 you enter MIDI data and assign instruments to the tracks. Then you play the song back and while listening to tracks 1-4, you record digital audio (voice, e.g.) on track 5 to complete the song. You dont need a mixer unless you need the preamps for a mic.

I can't give advice on which synth route to take because that will depend a lot on what kind of music you want to create and how much money you are willing to spend.

DUKE-X

[This message has been edited by tdukex (edited 05-06-2000).]

thanx for the info.....i tried a couple soft synths and theyre just 2 complicated for me,so i think im gonna go with modules.

Back