What should I get next?

KenekeBarnes

I've got a tax refund burning a hole in my pocket and wondering what I should do to upgrade my recording studio. I record drums, guitars, bass, and vocals.

My setup:
- Well-padded room
- Presonus Firepod (to PC, plus included SW)
- Tascam DP-01FX (for backup, though I may Ebay it now that I have a Firepod)
- Microphones
--- MXL 990
--- 3 Shure SM-57's
--- EV 767
- Behringer Eurorack (for the occasional pre-recording mixing)
- FX
--- Alesis 3630 rack compressor/limiter
--- Digidesign S100 FX
---various guitar FX pedals

I usually switch all these out, depending on what I am recording. For example, for drums I use the SM-57's for kick and snare and the MXL 990 for overheads.

I feel, in my mind, that I need to up my microphone count and variety, but I wanted some advice from youse guys to see what you think I should buy next.

If it was me and I was recording what you mentioned, the first thing I would be craving is a stereo pair for overheads. And maybe a kick drum mic.
Also I'm wondering what kind of instruments and amplifiers you have, that's probably more important than microphones anyway.

In reality, if you have enough to accomplish what you want to do, then you've just gotta listen to your current results and decide where you are being restricted by your equipment.

metalhead28 said:
If it was me and I was recording what you mentioned, the first thing I would be craving is a stereo pair for overheads. And maybe a kick drum mic.

I was thinking along those same lines, maybe buy a second MXL 990 for that very thing. Found some good kick mic suggestions in another thread too...

metalhead28 said:
Also I'm wondering what kind of instruments and amplifiers you have, that's probably more important than microphones anyway.

Cheap Yamaha drumset, Ibanez & Crate amps, between 25 & 100W. Peavey bass amp, forget the wattage, nothing too huge. The usual guitar spread: a Strat, an Ibanez AXG, ESP bass, etc.

How much ya lookin to spend? If I were you, I'd buy...uhh, since you're recording digitally, you might wanna get a tube pre-amp.

Newbie dude said:
How much ya lookin to spend? If I were you, I'd buy...uhh, since you're recording digitally, you might wanna get a tube pre-amp.

........................................................ :rolleyes:

If I were you...and this is just my opinion...

I'd get rid of the Tascam...just taking up room and you're not using it really...I'd also lose the 990 and upgrade it to a better SDC (see after)

I would add to what I have: A kick mic, a good LDC for vocals and other uses, a decent pair of SDC's like the Oktavas, Peluso or something along those lines, a pair of good monitors (I like Event personally, though I have limited experience here really...), and perhaps last I would add a good dual pre - something with EQ or compression - the pres in the Presonus unit are 'good enough' but you'll want some better channels that will give you a better vocal track, better guitar and bass tracks, and you can use one channel for snare and kick while using the Presonus pres for other elements. Personally I'd recommend the RNP and RNC combo...

I'd keep the Beri board just as a headphone amp really...That's a decent enough use for it.

Jacob

Newbie dude said:

Ahhhh. To be a misguided youth again. Those were the days. :confused:

Maybe I'm not getting something. Whats wrong with the tube-amp idea? I mean, it would add warmth to a digital recording.

Back