What should I get for everything else?

kkh961216

Hi! I'm trying to set up a recording studio at home for vocals, and I'm under a 2k budget. I'm thinking of the AT4060 for mic, unless otherwise advised, and therefore have 700 left to

spend on all else. Someone recommended a presonus audiobox, but that confused be because audio interfaces seemed to have 2 different plugs..... some have plugs with 3 tiny holes

and others have a hole that looks like a big O. So I have no idea what cables to use, in that case. So point being, can someone give me a full outline on what I should get to start off?

Like, looking at tascam us 1800 and Presonus Audiobox USB they have different inputs... and maybe outputs.

Also, do I need cables for monitors? If so, how many?

I talked about this recently, but I can't find the post now.

Basically, microphone plug into modern interfaces over a 3 pin connector, usually known as XLR.

Line level sources like keyboards, or instrument level sources like guitars and basses usually plug in over a TRS connector, or balanced 1/4" jack connector. (same thing).

Most interfaces will allow you the option of plugging in a microphone or a line level/instrument level source per channel.
You can't plug a mic and guitar into one channel though.

Often as a space saving measure, manufacturers combine the jack socket and the XLR socket into one fancy connector.
This doesn't matter because you wouldn't have been able to use jack + XLR simultaneously anyway.

You'll need an audio cable per monitor if they are active.
Often it's TRS from the interface and XLR or TRS into the monitor. You'll have to check yours to be sure.

If your monitors are passive (no power supply+amps built in), then you need an amp and there's more to it.
Hope that helps.

Thanks! That explains most of my questions! But for a home setup with 1 mic, 1 external preamp, and one amp, apprx how many of each cables would I need? And I'll upload the setup I have soon, please tell me if it'll work :( thanks again!

If your gonna get into home recording your going to need lots of cables of all differant types.
I know its more work but if you buy a soldering iron and some cable learn to solder your own cables you will save a packet.
Its not that hard

It depends what you mean.
People say preamp to mean almost anything these days. I say that because your OP talks about interfaces with built in preamps.

Again, you say amp, but what does that mean? guitar amplifier? Stereo amplifier for monitors.

It depends what you mean.
People say preamp to mean almost anything these days. I say that because your OP talks about interfaces with built in preamps.

Again, you say amp, but what does that mean? guitar amplifier? Stereo amplifier for monitors.

Kips advice is gold though.
I honestly haven't bought a cable in about ten years.

wow o.o Make your OWN cable? That does sound kind of hard :/ Anyways, the advices are great! And by preamp, I meant like presonux tubepre.
So now, I have
KRK Rokit Powered 6 G2 Package | Musician's Friend
PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL USB 2.0 Recording System | Musician's Friend
PreSonus TubePre V2 Single-Channel Tube Preamplifier/DI Box | Musician's Friend
are these enough to get me started? and are there any mics that are under say around 900$ for a high tenor vocal? I really don't want to go over 2k (CAD), what with free-shipping only applying to States and all.

Ok well, take a look at the stickys and familiarise yourself with the various levels and connectors.

The tubepre is unnecessary because it's just a preamp in a box, whereas the audiobox is an interface with two preamps built in to it already.

If you buy the audiobox and the rokits, the you need the following.

Mic
XLR-m to XLR-f cable x 1
Presonus audio box.
USB cable
TRS to TRS cable x 2 for monitors
KRK rokits.

Headphones may be useful, and you'll almost certainly need a pop filter and a stand.

ok well, take a look at the stickys and familiarise yourself with the various levels and connectors.

The tubepre is unnecessary because it's just a preamp in a box, whereas the audiobox is an interface with two preamps built in to it already.

If you buy the audiobox and the rokits, the you need the following.

Mic
xlr-m to xlr-f cable x 1
presonus audio box.
Usb cable
trs to trs cable x 2 for monitors
krk rokits.

Headphones may be useful, and you'll almost certainly need a pop filter and a stand.
thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that was kind of hard, but with audio box and rokits, I need 2 instrument cables 1 xlr? I have a pop filter and a stand. If I want to add a headphone monitor, do I need another instrument cable?

What do you need this for
PreSonus TubePre V2 Single-Channel Tube Preamplifier/DI Box | Musician's Friend

i wouldnt think this pre amp is any better than the built in ones on the preSonus interface you mentioned.

If you post a new thread in the microphone section asking what should i get mic wise, you'll get lots of replys but the real answer is ,if you have a guitar centre near you and you can go try some mics you will find the one that best suits your needs and voice.
there should be plenty of choice in your budget range.

thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that was kind of hard, but with audio box and rokits, I need 2 instrument cables 1 xlr? I have a pop filter and a stand. If I want to add a headphone monitor, do I need another instrument cable?

You've got your quantities right, but be aware, instrument cables are NOT the same as TRS cables.

Instrument cables are TS which stands for tip and sleeve.
TRS cables have tip, ring and sleeve. That's three conductors rather than two, which allows for stereo or balanced operation.

In the case of interface to monitors, you want balanced cables because balanced technology uses mystical wizardry to remove unwanted noise.

That's a fact, by the way. :p

Your probably going to want a shock mount for the mic. Not sure its included in that pack might be worth checking.

Nah, 2 is fine. Headphones do use a TRS connection, but they just plug straight into the headphone socket.

If your headphones are 3.5 mm you'll need a 3.5 to 1/4 adapter, but you'll not need a separate cable.

Back