What should I do with 1/2" 3M 996?

Hi_Flyer

I have an MX5050-8 calibrated for 456/SM911. When I bought the deck, the dude gave me a couple old reels of 3M 996. I am not sure whether to use the reels, sell them so I can buy more SM911, or just throw the tape away and use the nice six screw high precision 3M reels for takeup reels and/or wind my RMGI tape on them.

Its my understanding that 456/SM911 is +6 and the 996 is +9. And the different tape types will probably require bias adjustment as well, correct? So the 996 is not that useful to my deck if its set up for 456, right?

So then, I am thinking I should sell it, but can it get sticky shed? I am not sure how old it is, but my research seems to indicate that 3M's 996 tape can't get sticky shed cuz they used a different kind of binder...

Any suggestions?

The 996 is highly regarded tape and is perhaps some of the best made. I used it all the time with my Tascam 48. The sound was incredible and is the best I ever heard. Try it and see, otherwise sell it. It does not suffer from sticky shed. Just my 2c :)

Would I have to re-bias my deck if its currently set up for 456? I suppose that wouldn't be so bad even if I did, it only takes a few minutes to do it for eight channels...

You may have to rebias if you find it's too bright or the levels are off. I guess you can try it and see how you like it, I beleive the formulation to be equal to Quantegy GP9. That said, it may be a hassle just to bias for a couple of reels and it may be better to keep the machine aligned to a current production tape. The 6 screw reels are very good quality and may be worth keeping if you do not want the tape.

Back