What should I do, and should I even bother?

Drummerbones

Okay, here's the deal. I just finished a rock album but the catch is I wrote all the music and lyrics and played all of the instruments. My good friend and singer from our former rock band from a few years back did the lead vocals. So the album is a "band" but we're really just a couple of dudes. I invested in this year's Songwriter's Market and found 20 labels I'd like to submit demos to, however I'm not even sure it's worth the effort. Who would sign a one man band & a vocalist? My second question (was that first blob actually a question?) is this: would you recommend submitting a cover song as part of a demo package. We did a total remake, though stayed true to the spirit of another artist's song from the '80's, giving it a modern sound and texture. I think it's killer and I've seen bands get their break from covers (Alien Ant Farm - covered Michael Jackson's "Annie"). Do I dare add this to the few originals I feel are our best work? Lot's to think about; appreciate the feedback gang.

Bones

Let's see- you put a lot of time into this project, no doubt invested some money in gear to play and/or record it, and invested MORE money so you could have the opportunity to bring the project to market, and now you are wondering if you should take the leap? You've caught a case of cold feet, my friend.

If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:

...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Man up and DO IT! If it "sells," you can deal with doing the stuff as a duo, or decide if you want to recruit a band. Stop focusing on minute' and move forward. Man, I wish I had an entire album in the can.

One analogy is that it's like entering those stupid sweepstakes contests: if you enter we all know that your chances of winning are very, very slim. It's hard to figure out the actual odds but we do know that they are very small.

However, if you don't enter the contest at all, your odds of winning are very predictable - zero.

As far as including a cover tune... the Beatles did cover tunes so I don't see why not. If you did the cover exactly like the original I'd say why bother, but if it's got your flavor I'd say go for it. Sometimes it helps to have a song people already know.

I'm not even sure it's worth the effort.

It's probably not.........

I don't know your life situation, but in the extremely rare chance that someone gives you a shot, are you ready to drop everything and become a puppet of some record company? Form a band? Go on tour? Leave everything behind for maybe 6 bucks a day?

It's no longer worth it to hope to get signed. It's almost meaningless now. It's not 1983 anymore.

I guess you should ask yourself, why did you bother to do and what would be your ideal outcome?

That being said the better question to ask yourself is why not? If it happens you can always say no.

Oh, and I can't see any harm in doing a remake if you think adds to the original.

Okay, here's the deal. I just finished a rock album but the catch is I wrote all the music and lyrics and played all of the instruments. My good friend and singer from our former rock band from a few years back did the lead vocals. So the album is a "band" but we're really just a couple of dudes. I invested in this year's Songwriter's Market and found 20 labels I'd like to submit demos to, however I'm not even sure it's worth the effort. Who would sign a one man band & a vocalist? My second question (was that first blob actually a question?) is this: would you recommend submitting a cover song as part of a demo package. We did a total remake, though stayed true to the spirit of another artist's song from the '80's, giving it a modern sound and texture. I think it's killer and I've seen bands get their break from covers (Alien Ant Farm - covered Michael Jackson's "Annie"). Do I dare add this to the few originals I feel are our best work? Lot's to think about; appreciate the feedback gang.

Bones

I think it depends on what your wanting to sell. Are you wanting to sell just your songs, or are you wanting to sell yourself as the performing artist. The 2 are not the same. Lots of bands don't write their own songs, this is why labels will buy songs for their signed artists.

Trying to sell a band? Then I feel that the bottom line is that you are going to have to have a proven public performing record for a "real" label to sign you. That means form you a band, and then go perform in public trying to sell as many CDs as possible.

I read somewhere from someone in the industry that a DVD video of the band playing in public will also sometimes work.

Racherik

Back