What should I build?

northsiderap

I picked up a double sized empty guitar pedal box with a switch on it, and I'm looking for suggestions on what to build. Only stipulations:

1) 9V Battery Powered
2) I want to design and build it from scratch.
3) Ummm... Ummmm.....

What would you want? A compressor? Tremelo? Distortion? What?

Is this the first pedal you've done? I think it's best to start with a solid overdrive.

If I were you, I'd build something that suits my setup...what do you need right now?

I'd love a good delay similar to the EH Memory Man or a good trem similar to the Dunlop in my setup right now.

Jacob

Light makes a good suggestion - a Jack Orman project.

The Mini-boost is a simple clean boost project, but there are others there as well.

I've built stuff before....

I'm pretty good with designing amplification stages, etc.....

I did do one opto with a UV-phototransistor and UV-photodiode in the feedback loop. Sounded very 'diode'-ey

Right now I have designed a 150k ohm input stage that amplifies 3-4dB and a neat little diode clipper that introduces a fifth harmonic (not a fifth as in octave)

I also added some larger diodes in case someone gets the idea of trying to put line level through it...

I just need something cool on the output. I was thinking opto-tremolo also, but perhaps a light wah with the tremolo would be cool or something... How about a mid-cut?

I had tried to design a nice adjustable AF oscillator for tremolo control, but it was too finicky for some reason and didn't sound good... Now I'm thinking about a smoothed pulse from a 555 timer chip and an optocoupler.

More ideas are welcome!

I've build a Rebote 2 delay from tonepad.com, a phase 90, also from tonepad, and a EF440 from general guitar gadgets, which failed (while it is suppost to be the easiest project of those three :p). Anyway, I'm no electro tech, I barely know the difference between impendance and resistance, but I did manage to get those two things working. I would suggest a Phase 90 if you don't already have one, it sounds amazing! The Tremulus Lune from cantremember also looks like a great easy project!

can you build be an observatory that I can put on my roof and operate via computer

How about an octave pedal with booster? An A/B or A+B octave select with drive control for each? A=octave up, B=octave down. If it works and you price it right, I'll buy it.

it really does depend on what you need.. no point in building something you wont use...
like halion i just wired up a rebote 2 delay yesterday for a noise band im in.. but this would do little to no good for my other projects....

you dont happen to have a book on audio electronics?(name) ... ive been looking for one, i havent built circuits regularly since highschool, and could use a book with basic useful formulae and such..

thanks and gl

Back