What setup is this?

ThaArtist

I know some of you might not like this music please bare with me. A friend of mine shared this link with me and I was impressed with the setup and recording techniques. I'm wondering if you can list any of the gear used for recording and if you recognize what kind of guitar that is possibly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ifeJRC5lvhs

It looks like the main vocalist/guitarist is using a Neumann U87 and possibly two Neumann KM 184 Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone's for recording the guitar. Is that what they call the XY pattern?

Neumann U87 = $3500 ouch
Neumann KM 184 = $350 a piece

Last edited:
Beautiful song.

Yes, the mics on the guitar are set up in a XY configuration.

yes it is a beautiful song... I thought it was an xy pattern but i just started recording again and more then just rappers. Sometimes do people actually cross the mics? I thought I seen that. I'm sure sometimes they want them close or further apart?

yes it is a beautiful song... I thought it was an xy pattern but i just started recording again and more then just rappers. Sometimes do people actually cross the mics? I thought I seen that. I'm sure sometimes they want them close or further apart?

Yes. That is what is called "coincedent" stereo mic'ing, X-Y for short. The capsules are directional, and usually at some angle between 90 and 120 degrees. The capsules are placed as close together as they can get, without actually touching. This eliminates a ton of phase problems, because the sound reaches the two capsules at virtually the same time. Aside from being really effective on Spanish guitar and harp in particular, it works on steel string acoustic, violin/fiddle/cello. It is particularly useful for doing something huge, like a choir, orchestra, or a bootleg of Earth, Wind, and Fire. You vary the stereo spread by changing the angle of the mics, and adjust for the size of the source.

When the mics are far apart, it is called "spaced" stereo recording. Then you have potential phase issues. For that, do a search on the "3 to 1 rule".

There are a bunch of other cool methods of stereo recording. Do a search on the following: ORTF, NOS, Decca Tree, Jecklin Disc, Mid-side (M-S), and binaural stereo recording.

I use stereo recording a lot, and my best general advice is- Remember that stereo recording is not an electronic decision, and a "stereo" track in your DAW has nothing "stereo" about it. Stereo recording is a way to use two or more mics to create an acoustic model of what your ears would have heard if you were there when the music was recorded. That's all it is- a model. The closest to the truth is probably binaural, but not always the most useful. Spaced could only be true if your ears were 10' apart. X-Y would only be true if your ears were in the same place. A Decca Tree would only be true if you had 3 ears!-Richie

You got your problems, and I got mine. I try to anticipate other people's needs. There are an infinite number of lifestyles.-Richie

You got your problems, and I got mine. I try to anticipate other people's needs. There are an infinite number of lifestyles.-Richie

Jeez...thanx for the lesson in life. :D. I love EW&F, I just thought the sentence sounded funny on it's own.-Rami

Back