what sequencer?

dougeast

I'm in the process of setting up my home studio but I need some advice about sequencing. I want to play keyboard parts but of course I can't play the keyboard well enough (i know the notes and scales & chords but I can't play as such) so I need a sequencer to construct the songs bit by bit.

I have the following gear:

Roland RS5 - 64 Voice Synthesizer
Roland VS880-Ex Digital Workstation
Roland R-70 drum machine
Shure 57

Plus guitars and bass.

Am using a practice PA system for monitors which I know is not good but...it beats the shitty hi-fi speakers I had before!

It's more than enough to get started (I know I need a ton more stuff but cash won't allow for now) and I've also been studying sound engineering for a few months so I kinda know what I'm doing now.

But the question is what will serve me best: a computer with software such as Cakewalk (which I can use a little) or something like the Yamaha RX1...which I assume I can hook up to my keyboard, right?

I prefer hardware to computers on the whole but need to think carefully about value for money. Everyone talks about Macs but they're so expensive and anyway which do I need? Gigas? Memory? Ram? etc and after spending years figuring out how a PC works & what everything means will I have to start again with a Mac or is it more or less the same? Can you upgrade Macs the same way you can a PC? Is that whole process simpler than with PCs (I hate PCs for that).

I'm feeling a bit lost here so would really appreciate some advice. I'm dying to finally start putting into practice the things I've been learning & I'm sure I could go really fast with a decent sequencer...

Any ideas? Many thanks.

ciao.

dougeast

Here's a review of the Yamaha RM1X in case you haven't seen it already.

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/feb99/articles/yamaharm1x.htm

I've had one for a couple of months now and it's great. You can use a Midi keyboard to play the onboard synth. You can use the sequencer to control your synthesizer and drum machine if they're Midi compatable. The RM1X takes some getting used to and sometimes does strange things but it's still a great machine. Can be had for £300 in the UK at the moment - a bargain. Very glad I bought it and no regrets. There's loads of reviews at Harmony Central and sonicstate.com

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/Yamaha_RM1X.cfm

If you mean ONLY to record and arrange keyboard parts using MIDI, I'd prefer PC, with simple sequencer program, like old version of cakewalk, voyetra's Digital Orchestrator, etc... They're quite good enough for MIDI things, yet not turning your "making great music proccess" into "learning tons of I don't understand stuff" ;)

All of the major sequencers are excellent. I've used both Cakewalk (Guitar Studio and Sonar) and Steinberg (Cubase) and they have great MIDI sequencers. Logic is supposed to be awesome, also. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these programs or their little brothers. Just make sure if you buy a "lite" version it has enough MIDI tracks. Note: eight is not enough. You need 24 minimum.

I prefer PCs because they are upgradeable. In general, Macs aren't. I know pros who use Macs and love them, though.

I heartily second the opinion of James Argo with regard to early versions of Cakewalk. Version 6.0 is a beautiful sequencer. I also own that Voyetra stuff; while it has the same functionality, the interface in Cakewalk is much superior. All the information about what is going on with your MIDI file is clearly laid out in an easy to read table. No squeezing involved! You can view your file as a stripe on a timeline (track view), as a piano roll, as ordinary staff notation or as the raw event list. And each of these provides tools to edit the MIDI events.

Every version of CW since then has downplayed the MIDI aspect of their audio/MIDI platform. :(

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies. I like the idea of getting the Yamaha RM1X. A friend of mine has it & we borrowed it one time and it was very simple to use. I think it could be go well with my equipment & for learning how to compose songs. Can you really pick it up for as little as 300 pounds in England, Atwork? I take it that's a second hand price, right? I live in Barcelona but I could get a mate to sort it out for me.

Re using a PC, yeah I agree that they're useful & I know how to use the basic functions of Cakewalk - I can get a song together at least. But I'm thinking in terms of low outlay and value for money, bearing in mind that all I want to do is practice for now. A PC is going to set me back a good wack, a Mac even more...is it really worth it when I'm not going to be ready to even think about releasing my music for a good couple of years?

Let me know what you think & thanks again.

Ciao.

Dougeast

dougeast said:
Can you really pick it up for as little as 300 pounds in England, Atwork?

I bought one new in Academy of Sound in Leeds two months ago for £329. At the time Digital Village were selling them for £299. I just checked their web site and they're now selling them for £369. Academy of Sound may still have them at £329.

Hi Atwork,

Man that is a stunning price!! I thought you meant second hand!!

I live in Spain and the prices here are insane. Would you happen to know how much the Roland MC505 costs in England? Second hand price here is 1000 euros and I know someone who wants to buy one...maybe i should start a little import business :-)

Will get on to mate in England 2night.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Ciao

Dougeast

Thanks Atwork, haven't had time to check out the sites yet but will do soon. Seems the second hand price here is the NEW price in England!! Incredible the difference, no?

My mate lives in Brighton and my sister in London so between the three of us we should be able to sort something out...maybe I can even make the price of a plane ticket out of this! Never realised...

Take care...I'll drop by and let you know how I got on, maybe more readers can take advantage of the price differences...

Ciao.

dougeast

Back