What Rackmount Harddrive options are there?

jabulani jonny

Hey guys,
got a couple questions about external HD's. I currently use a 160GB FW external HD for mobile recording applications and I'm wondering if it's going on the fritz. I'm looking for more mobile options...so my questions are:

1. I'm starting to experience clicks, pops and dropouts on my current drive which is why I'm wondering about its condition. It was just a plain old 160GB 7200 rpm drive in an external enclosure that I've traveled around with and I don't think it's taking the travel very well. I know that the problem is with the HD since I use to be able to record and edit to it with no problems. Is there a program that I can use to test its health?

2. I've looked at Glyph, Lacie and Granite Digital drives, but all were a pretty penny for what I want. Ultimately I'm looking for a rackmountable drive that's tough, quiet and possibly has the FW port on the front so I don't have to constantly dig around back in the rack. The Glyph GT drives are the front runners, but the FW port is on the back. I guess I could live with this. Right now the most I record at one time is 16 tracks and that's all it will be for the foreseeable future. With that in mind, do I have to go Firewire? I know it supports higher continuous throughput and doesn't tap CPU resources, but I was wondering if I shouldn't just look for another mobile USB 2 drive. That would of course be cheaper. There are some 80GB portable 7200 drives for much less than the Glyph counterparts.

3. Yes, I would love to drop $500 bones on a Glyph 103 hot-swappable bay with the FW port on the front and a couple hot-swappable drives, but you're pushing $750 for that rig, with just one drive.

Since my external drive has been down, I've just been recording to the internal drive and backing up to the external that I currently have. It's been working fine for normal duties, but audio has been giving it fits for some reason, where it used to be just fine.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thx.
Jonathan

Last edited:
Back