what preamp?

entenow

hi

i wanna buy a pair of preamps. i have an offer for a pair of focusrite voicemasters: 600$, what is exactly my budget for that.
so, anyone uses a voicemaster? and what about the others, dbx , spl? i dont want to spend more than 600$.

thanks for your advice.

entenow

I have a Voicemaster - the preamp section is very decent - I'm not real pleased with the compression, and the EQ is limited, but all in all it is not a bad unit.

If I read your post correctly you can get two for $600 - I think that is a real good price. There are certainly better units out there, but since the Voicemaster is more then a preamp (it's a "channel strip") at that price I think your are getting your monies worth - you're basically buying the preamps at $300 per and the additional processing is an added bonus.

I think in all reality you can have a John Hardy for about $100 more. The 4 space unit is like $500, and the preamps are $350... well, ok, thats alot more than $100 more. But after that, you could add a preamp here and there for $350 each. Not a bad idea for top quality stuff.
Check out the Grace 101, and post your feelings about it :)
Good price on the voicemasters, BTW.

Ya know, RecordingEngineer really likes the Davisound stuff--all hand wired. He has three of their various units and is having a special order mixing board made by them. I had them quote me $499 for a special order TB-6 with two pres in it. The four pre TB-6 goes for $650. I am very seriously considering one of these units or the Grace 101. I just wish more people here had heard of Davisound and used their stuff so we could get more feedback. IMO, however, if RE thinks it is very high quality, it is very high quality.

I just pick up a couple of used DBX 376 tube channel strips for $300 a pop and am very happy with 'em so far. They have the standard EQ and compression, but add an integrated de-esser (hate to use it, but love to have it).

Steve

well, thatb grace 101 really looks nice and i already found a dealer in germany but its more than twice that expensive.
well, since i cannot afford a grace, i think i'll go with the voicemasters.
you know, i have to get rich and famous soon, i dont wanna wait! :)

greetings

entenow

Back