What pre for dynamics

MrGrooves

I thought I post this already, but I don't remember doing so (heh...I'm going crazy)
Anyway, what's a good affordable pre for dynamic mics like 57, sennheiser's 609, 604, 602, 421, etc?
I've been reading about the RNP, the DMP3, and such, and the general consensus makes them good pre's for condensers, but not much for dynamics...?
Thanks in advance

Dynamic mics don't have as much in the way of output as their condensor counterparts so you need a pre with plenty of head room. I have no idea what that means but I think it's to do with how loud you can make it before it distorts. :confused:

The M-Audio MobilePre USB is impressive on dynamics for the price but you've got to use its audio interface as well. The Studio Projects VTB1 does a better job than most low end mic pres on dynamics except for the MobilePre USB.

The FMR RNP and the Grace 101 do a great job with dynamics. My favorite dynamic mic pre is probably the A Designs MP-1 (or the two channel MP-2). The Great River ME-1NV (or the two channel MP-2NV) might be my favorite. Oh well...

Steve
www.mojopie.com

If you look at the specs of the mic, it will note what kinda output it has. Say for instance the e609 needs -40db, you would need to crank the pre to about that much. Of course you would ned to crank it up more if the mic is 2feet away from the source etc.. Most pre have about 60db output, so you would hypothetically have 20db headroom?
I don't know for sure, but I read it somewhere.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong!!
T
Mark7 said:
Dynamic mics don't have as much in the way of output as their condensor counterparts so you need a pre with plenty of head room. I have no idea what that means but I think it's to do with how loud you can make it before it distorts. :confused:

A lot of it is being able to find just the right match in terms of impedence, since Condensers and Dynamics tend to react differently to the type of load they see at the front end of whatever mic pre it is.

The vtb1 or the M-audio Tampa are a few examples of mic pres with some flexibility in terms of impedence matching.

Ideally, and this is at least what I've found to be the case, I tend to like to plug dynmic mics in to somethign with a transformer at the front end. I'm not very good with electronics, so I can't explain exactly what's going on with it all, but transformerless mic pres just don't seem to react as naturally with the dynamics I use for some reason.

Amongst the lower-priced models, the Presonus MP20 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head with transformer input. And for the prices I've seen them going for lately, they're a really good mic pre to have around. Replace whatever they've got in there for a good Jensen and you've got yourself something to contend with.

Haven't tried the M-Audio unit, however, there are some dynamic microphones, like a 421 or M88, that sound outstanding with the VTB-1. Even when compared to a Presonus MP20 or (gasp!:)) an
Avalon 737. Also the VTB-1 is great with the RCA 77DX ribbon, per
Harvey Gerst's review.

As Ozraves said in his own review of the VTB-1, it does sound like
the proximity effect is more pronounced through it, but you can use that to create a thicker vocal-or simply back off it to thin it down.

Chris

Question for ozraves (and anyone else)...

Steve, how much does using a budget USB device, like the
Mobile Pre, degrade the audio signal IYO?
(finicky ears here!)

I just got a new Mac ibook, and thought it might be fun to mess around with. As you know, I'm cool with dynamics, since you've
said before the Mobile Pre does poorly with condensers.

Chris

Chris--

I didn't give the MobilePre USB a heavy going over on the converters and sound but nothing jumped out at me as sucking except the awful sound with condensers.

FWIW, a friend of mine bought one for $100 at Guitar Center. You might go in and say a friend got it for that price and see what they'll do.

He ended up returning his for a Digi 002.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

Thanks Steve.

It seems we're still somewhat in the "Dark Ages" as far as these budget USB connectors are concerned. Wonder if that's part of the reason for the Tascam forums getting pulled?
(negative feedback on US-428, US-122, etc., from end users)

I guess either a Digidesign MBox, or maybe(?) the Mackie competing model is the lowest acceptable rung on the pre/USB ladder then?

Chris

ozraves said:
Chris--

I didn't give the MobilePre USB a heavy going over on the converters and sound but nothing jumped out at me as sucking except the awful sound with condensers.

I loaned my Neuman KMS 105 to my son so he could try it on their metal band's sound system. He couldn't even get it to work at all with that system's 18v phantom. I didn't know they only had 18v on phantom or I would have sent a phantom supply adapter. (I keep one available because my spare remote board only has global phantom or none)

BTW that 105 has been handy for some singers that will not take anything but a stage mic. Like any other mic though it works on some singers and some you have to grab something else.

That's one I do not understand, why do these companies put low phantom voltage on anything. Many mics simply will not work or work poorly with low phantom voltage.

Sorry for the delay, and thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'll start looking for a used MP20 (they don't make them anymore do they? ) or the VTB-1.

Back