What other mic would you suggest?

Richie2708

Dis Member
I'm recording acoustic guitar at the moment with an MXL 67G aimed at the 12th fret. I would like to try and duel mic this by moving the mic closer to the sound hole and get a SDC to aim at the 12th fret. Question is what SDC?????

I understand there are many ways of Mic'ing an acoustic guitar, be that the figure 8. Stereo monitoring with 2 LDC. Or even a matched pair of SDC's, but the way I figure it is, either way an SDC would be handy to have, and I can see this being my first use of it, so am just looking for something that would be similar in cost to the MXL 67G to use. I will probably play around with positioning when setting up.

I don't get into mic talk all that much -there's so many really good options, most just different flavors of good. :) <<why does it do that?
Started really liking the tone I hear palying and went with one Octava mk-12 about 9" above and almost straight and just forward of the neck. 80Hz HP on and still wanted some low cut.
That's to say, can't imagine anywhere near the sound hole thing.. :)

I think anything comparable to your MXL will work. Maybe even try a Shure 57 dynamic a foot or so off the guitar, pointed between the 12th fret and the neck/body joint. Then place the larger mic out in the room somewhere at least 3 or 4 feet out. Watch for phase though...

But make sure you get a good level. I used to use a studio-in-the-box machine and the pres didnlt have a lot of oomph. So if I placed a mic too far away I didn't get a hot enough signal. I even tried stereo miking with a couple of AKG SDCs and had a hard time getting enough volume.

So I guess I'm saying something a little different, suggesting you use the SDC close and then move your MXL (that's a larger mic, right?) farther away to get some room... Pointing a mic right at the soundhole, I think, tends to get boomy/muddy results.

2 cents :-)

Thx for your feedback, I will definitely be moving my original placement for the LDC. Cheers guys :D and will try an SM57 for now, and maybe look at getting a SDC to try.

A really nice SDC for acoustic guitar (and it works great on drums and percussion too) is the Audio-Technica ATM450. Can be had for less that $200 each if you shop around. If you do much recording of acoustic guitar, you really need to have one or two of these.

C-451 is great for acoustic. Combine that with a LDC pointed at the sound hole is a nice combo. I usually start with the SDC pointed somewhere around the 12th fret and move it as well as the LDC around to taste depending on the instrument, player and room. Of course this is only one idea of many that will work. Gotta mess around. Have fun.:)

Back