What now?

Instead of getting the Audio Buddy, get the M-Audio DMP3. It's better than the Audio Buddy. As for what you should get next, what you need is a soundcard. Get the 1212M, this way you won't have to upgrade it. It cost $199, but it's real good. You can get real good quality out of it with the right preamp and mic. In the long run though, you may want to get a different mic. Then, you'll probably want to upgrade your preamp. After getting that, get yourself some monitors and a pair of headphones.

A good decent setup for someone starting out, should be like this if you can get it all.

Soundcard: E-Mu 1212M - $199
Preamp: M-Audio DMP3 (Upgrade it later) - $159
Monitors: Wharfedale Diamond 8.2A - $339
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs - $69
Mic: Studio Project B1 (Upgrade it later) - $99

That's what your setup should look like for right now. Since you're just getting started.

You'll be fine, I'm in the same boat with you on a lot of work to do. Which I'm trying to upgrade my setup. Just save money and you'll be fine.

but hol on, I wanna do the producing and DJ thing too......what would be the best equipment for making my beats and turntables

Does the DMP-3 use a different opamp than the AudioBuddy? I assume it does, but I asked one of the guys at GC and he told me they are basically the same preamp, but the DMP-3 has more features (phase, low cut, etc.). (I knew he would say this because GC doesn't keep the DMP-3 in stock :D ) A while back, I went into GC to get some cables and they had the audiobuddy for $49!!! For that price, it was a steal. It sounds clearer and more present than my SX202 (maybe something wrong with the SX202?).

MrBoogie

On equipment for making beats that's really up to you. Don't ask someone what should you get, list a few things you're interested in and ask if it's good. But don't only go by what people say, go down to your local music store (Guitar Center if you have one out there) and just play with the equipment.

Check out some: Drum Machine, Synth, Modules, Turntables, Software, MIDI Controllers, etc.

It all depends on what type of music you want to make.

MrBoogie: Don't settle for a piece of equipment because it's cheap. You this "You get what you paid for"...Buying low end equipment doesn't mean you're going to get something good out of it because you won't. That's why I say get the DMP3, it's a little cheap but it actually gets the job done. You can always upgrade your preamp. It's best to start out small then work your way up to the high end equipment. The Audio Buddy is a preamp that I don't normally see get suggested to people. GC won't even suggest it, I asked them for a good preamp and they started running off about 737SP, Voicemaster Pro, ISA 200, etc. I think you get what I'm saying now.

Jae Little said:
MrBoogie: Don't settle for a piece of equipment because it's cheap. You this "You get what you paid for"...Buying low end equipment doesn't mean you're going to get something good out of it because you won't. That's why I say get the DMP3, it's a little cheap but it actually gets the job done. You can always upgrade your preamp. It's best to start out small then work your way up to the high end equipment. The Audio Buddy is a preamp that I don't normally see get suggested to people. GC won't even suggest it, I asked them for a good preamp and they started running off about 737SP, Voicemaster Pro, ISA 200, etc. I think you get what I'm saying now.

The thing is, you say get the DMP3 cause it's better than the AudioBuddy, but you don't say why. What has your experience been with it? As far as I know, the AudioBuddy might be the same preamp with less features. As far as GC, my point was that they'll suggest whatever is convenient for them to sell or whatever they can make the most bucks on (just in case you didn't catch on).

If you haven't seen people suggest the AudioBuddy, you haven't read very many threads. It's been recommended plenty of times for people on a budget.

BTW, I got the AudioBuddy because it was steal for $49. If you cant get a decent recording with the AudioBuddy, you need to work on the skills :-). I already have an RNP, SX202, TubePre; and have been looking into either the Sytek MPX-4Aii or possibly making the jump into a GR.

One minute you're saying don't buy cheap, the next minute you're suggesting a cheap preamp and saying "you can upgrade it later". It sounds like you're basically just giving us your interpretation of the stuff you have read on the forums. How about a little advice based on some experience, not hearsay :-).

MrBoogie

My 2c... Get the best that you can afford and use it to learn with then upgrade later once it starts holding you back.

I could have saved for years to buy the best gear, finally put it together and not have a clue on how to use it... and have wasted years saving when I could have been making music (which is surely the point!).

The Audiobuddy is usable for a budget pre but the difference between that and a better (and more expensive) pre is instantly noticable. It comes down to audio quality. A better pre will help tracks sit together in the mix with more clarity and presence.

If the Audiobuddy is the top of your budget then go for it and get creating. If you can beg/borrow/steal any more take a look at the Focusrite Trackmaster... you can pick them up for under £100 on ebay and the pre is very nice (and you get compressor and eq!).

Back