What monitors do you use?

What monitors do you use?

• Total voters
No matter what speakers you use, A/B them to an industry standard set of headphones for a second perspective. I like the old Sony MDR 7506s. $100 dollars and cover the spectrum nicely. As for speakers, I like Tannoys, Yamaha NS-10s, Urei time aligns and Genelecs. They're all good.

such a good choice! how is the midrange on them?

I started recording using an unbranded pair of speakers and an amp, and they did pretty well for a few years.

I then bought a set of Truth monitors when they first came out, and the difference between what I was listening to before and now was staggering. In particular, the precision and visibility of the stereo field was so much better.

The Truths served me well also, and I got over ten years of great value out of them.

But I figured it was time for an upgrade, and after dithering a while and trying to read between the lines of reviews, the Neumanns seemed to be pushing their way forward.

Well, I forked out the money and got them, and they took the place of the Truths.

Again, the difference in sound was astonishing. What impressed me most was the precision and detail in the sound. The Truths were fine, and though strong around the bottom end, just a bit 'sloppy'. The Neumanns are tight.

The Neumanns are also a bit stronger on the mid range, which helps a lot with its representation of detail. The Truths were not as clear in the midrange.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the Neumanns, and I play material and I'm like "gosh, is that what that sounds like?". I am gratified that my Truth mixes have translated very well, so whatever failings they had were adequately compensated for in the mixes. But I find myself playing stuff that I've previously mixed just to hear it totally anew.

I use a pair of Equator D5s (LOVE these!) with a Tannoy PS 110 sub. Also have a pair of passive Hafler M5s.

They work for me.

Back