What midi keyboard is right for me?

booyah14

I have been a guitar player for over 10 years and finally want to learn another instrument. Since a piano is way too expensive for me, I have decided to go the keyboard route. Now I only need a midi keyboard since I plan on using the sounds from Sampletank/Reason/etc...

So my question is this, what would be a good midi keyboard for me to check out that plays and feels like an actual piano?

I also only have the stock sounds for reason and samplitude, so does any one have any suggestions for that as well?

I'm not quite sure how much money I'm looking to spend, but I do know that I have no problem buying used. So feel free to make a couple of suggestions at different price ranges. I'll start doing some research and checking out reviews before I go play couple of them. So let me know what you guys are using/digging at the moment. Thanks a lot guys!

I'd agree with the CME keyboard linked above. I've only heard good things about their line of controllers. Make sure you actually try out different keyboards though. Depending on why you want to learn the piano, you might feel more comfortable playing semiweighted keys. I played the piano for 7ish years and actually prefer those over the hammer action.

I have a question for you guys. I have checked the links to those 3 keyboards and I see that any review site has bad reviews of all of them. This got me wondering, so I decided to check other keyboard reviews. It seems like every single controller/keyboard had received bad reviews. Is this just people expecting too much or are they really just not any good keyboards for these prices?

I'm really wondering if it just isn't what the reviews use so it has to "suck". I see this attitude with a lot of guitarist when it comes to selecting a new guitar. So just wondering if anyone could enlighten me.

booyah14 said:
Is this just people expecting too much or are they really just not any good keyboards for these prices?
I think it goes way beyond 'expecting too much' and into the realm of net vandalism. You can post reviews of stuff anonymously, and there are plenty of 14 year olds with a fast internet connection and too much time on their hands who take full advantage of the fact that you don't actually have to own one to say something negative about it.

All three linked in altitude909's post are professional quality controller keyboards. I've heard varying reports about 'mushiness' or 'sticky sliders' but it was just a couple of years ago when quality controllers cost WAY more than they do now. You would probably do very well buying either the Fatar or the CME, the latter being the one I'm saving up for.

The upcoming CME VX controllers (Successor to aforementioned UF series) will feature motorized faders, meaning it will double as a full fledged control surface for the DAW of your choice, supporting dynamic automation and the works (Loads more features on this one). http://www.cme-pro.com/products-list/product-vx.html

At the very least if these functions don't interest you, they may serve to drive prices down a bit on the UF series (Which are ridiculously low-priced anyways).

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely start checking around to see if those prices are dropping. At the moment the features aren't really needed so I'll see what happens. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me know. But I think right now, the CME is the number one.

Suggestions:
- Don't post a new, and fairly narrow, question on a 5-year-old thread.
- If someone posts a new question on a 5-year-old thread, answer that, rather than the question that was asked 5 years ago.

Suggestions:
- Don't post a new, and fairly narrow, question on a 5-year-old thread.
- If someone posts a new question on a 5-year-old thread, answer that, rather than the question that was asked 5 years ago.

Good advice. It was easy to miss that a new question had been asked recently.

Back