What mics for live recording?

Talldog

Pain in the ass
Hey all. Sorry for the cross post. Doing an all analog (1/4) live recording of an Americana band. I have a choice of large or small diaphragm mics. This will be two track mono mix with a couple of room mics and a feed off the board (board track 1, room track 2). I've got a pair of Peluso CEMC-6s and a pair of Mojave 2001 tube mics. I've also got a C414eb. Any ideas?

Personally I'm not a big fan of any part of a live recording coming off of the board, because the people doing them(not me!) always have way too much voice in the mix. My favorite way to do a live recording is just to find a spot in the club where it all sounds good and just setup a single LDC.

I tend to agree with eddie. Chances are the room mix will be the right mix & then use the board track for punch & clarity (if you're lucky).

I tend to agree with eddie. Chances are the room mix will be the right mix & then use the board track for punch & clarity (if you're lucky).

I agree as well. Without an ideally treated control room, and lots of live mic experience you will never get the live mix to sound right off of a board.

One of the guys that recorded my band live that we had this issue with is a sound engineer for the sonics! I mean everything sounded great except the voice was just too loud and almost overpowered the entire mix.

I've always been a believer in multitrack recording live project. I started doing this in the 1970's and am starting to get back into it again. I've got some tracks here: 2. Location Audio Services | Richard King Media if you are interested in listening in to them, one from the '70's and the rest more current. I just wish I could get more business doing this stuff. The old track was done 8 track on a Tascam 80-8 with DBX noise reduction and tape machine, the new tracks are, of course, done digitally, typically with 16 or so tracks. I could get crazy and use up to 26 with my existing gear. My computer that I use has blown up, so it's time to replace it. :(

One of the guys that recorded my band live that we had this issue with is a sound engineer for the sonics! I mean everything sounded great except the voice was just too loud and almost overpowered the entire mix.

Side chain the direct vocal mic to the room mics using a compressor this way it will compress when the vocals are present.

Back