What Mics Are Used Here?

TeenChristian

Hey there. This is my first post here in the microphones section! I'm just starting to plan my little home studio and as of yet I think I'm starting simply with a Tascam US 800 interface and a SM57 mic. Though, now I'm planning ahead to buying future gear. I really like the quality of the mics used in a Boyce Avenue video, and I was wondering if anyone would tell me what kid of mics were used in it.

I believe I see an SM57 used for the cymbal. I'm really interested in what their using for the vocals, and what condenser mic their using on the acoustic. Thank you so much for anyone who can help!

-God Bless

First of all, keep in mind that there has probably been a lot of post processing on this song. That means, if you're expecting to get the same sound out of the mics shown in the video as soon as you bring em home, you might be in for a surprise.
That said, the vocal mics are Shure PG57s, pretty affordable. The cymbal mic you see doesn't look like a 57 to me, it's bigger, but I'm not completely sure what it is. The one on the guitar looks like an AKG C 451B to me. More experienced (Henry) people will probably be here shortly to correct me though :p

Yeah, I'm not expecting studio quality from anything I can afford at this point in time, but I was interested to see what kinds of mics were utilized in the vid. You seem to be spot on with the Shure PG57 mic, I looked it up and it's a perfect match. As far as the AKG C 451B I'm hoping you wrong, mostly because of the price :p

I'm not sure about the mic on the cymbals either but I can confirm the SDC on the acoustic guitar is an AKG 451EB, probably with a CK1 capsule. That happens to be my favourite acoustic guitar mic as well, though I usually use two and record in stereo.

I think you are spot on with the mic's the cymbal looks like a SM57 to me. I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark tho and say you are not listening to what you are seeing in the vid, it looks like a mock up to me - it's jus too clean to be recorded as shown.... IMO :)

The mics don't necessarily have to be props, but then again, I doubt they recorded the song in a studio on PG57s. Don't put so much stress on buying the same mics. There's a ton of good, budget stuff out there that is good enough to get you started. Learning how to mix and improving your listening will do you more good, as opposed to buying specific mics.

The other vocal mic besides the PG57 looks to be a regular SM58. The mic on the cymbal is either a PG81 or an SM94. And this performance is most definitely not live. The mics used in this video are also most likely not the ones used in the real recording (at least the vocal mics aren't).

There's no way they actually used a Shure PG57 for the vocals. Total prop for the vid :) With the cash that Boyce Avenue pulls in (curse their souls! :cursing:) I am POSITIVE they've got top-of-the-line everything. Mics, pres, AIs, engineers....the whole shebang.

Shure PG81 HERE and the SM94 HERE Are almost identical (the 81 has an on-off switch) and the shots of the cymbal microphone are just so dang out of focus with split second views.

I'd have to say that keeping with the motif of the microphones used for this video that the cymbal microphone is the Shure PG81 ............ Final answer.

The mics in the video are most likely props. Happens all the time.

This looks like a prop job with overdubs to me. Notice the sounds when he is hitting the Cajon in various positions.

That said another possible Shure mic on the cymbals is the BG 4.0 or 4.1 which both look like the PG81 and SM94. But this is not likely because the BG's are discontinued and getting scarce.

Attachments

• Shure BG 4.0.jpg
    Shure BG 4.0.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 64
Shure PG81 HERE and the SM94 HERE Are almost identical (the 81 has an on-off switch) and the shots of the cymbal microphone are just so dang out of focus with split second views.

I'd have to say that keeping with the motif of the microphones used for this video that the cymbal microphone is the Shure PG81 ............ Final answer.

You can get a better view of the cymbal mic if you watch some of their other videos.

I looked but only found other what seemed to be living room video shots of different set ups (SM81) etc..

They must have a sponsorship from Shure.

I think you are spot on with the mic's the cymbal looks like a SM57 to me. I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark tho and say you are not listening to what you are seeing in the vid, it looks like a mock up to me - it's jus too clean to be recorded as shown.... IMO :)

Exactly what I'm thinking lol. More likely a video shoot and the produced didn't feel like dropping tooth and nail on mics so got some cheaper ones.

Thank you for all your answers. I was curious to see what mics they where, but I guess these where just props, so that really gives no idea of what mics actually went into the production of the music. Nonetheless thank you for helping! :)

-God Bless

I'm guessing AKG 451B as opposed to the AKG 451EB for the guitar.
Mostly because its silver and new. Both mics did come in silver though.
Also, if you freeze frame at 50secs you'll see that it is definitely a CK1 Capsule. Good call guys.
I'm going to agree with Bruiser though. I didn't listen, just watched the video and it doesn't look like the actual recording in progress to me. Looks more like a video production so whichever mics they are using there doesn't really matter.
I have the AKG 351EB by the way and is my current project's microphone of choice for acoustic guitar. Really nice mic.

I'm guessing AKG 451B as opposed to the AKG 451EB for the guitar.
Mostly because its silver and new. Both mics did come in silver though.
<snip>
I have the AKG 351EB by the way and is my current project's microphone of choice for acoustic guitar. Really nice mic.

It looked black to me...just with the backlight highlighting the satin finish in some shots like this:

451.jpg

Did you mean 391 (rather than 351) or is there an AKG mic I need to investigate? I've got a couple of 391s (better known as "Bluelines") and agree they're a very nice mic. I often use them suspended for recording choir/choral stuff too.

I just picked up a 391 last week (AKG SE 300B preamp with a CK91 capsule).
I haven't used it yet but a brief sound check with my daughter talking into it was really encouraging.
Light, airy and apparently loves me lots.
Did you mean 391 (rather than 351) or is there an AKG mic I need to investigate?
No
I meant "AKG 451EB".

The 451s and 391s are my workhorse mics for an awful lot of stuff--I'm lucky enough to have 5 of the 451s but invested in a couple of 391s when I needed more and found the 451 was discontinued. I haven't tried any of the modern 451s with the fixed capsules though.

I'm guarding my swivels and extension tubes for the 451s like a hawk because I find them incredibly useful--especially live. Dunno why AKG discontinued them without a suitable replacement.

Back