What mic's are "always on the stand"

mgraffeo

If I remember correctly, in "The Thread", Harvey mentioned that he always had 3 mics at the ready: TLM103, V67G, and SM7. I've been wondering what everyone else here keeps on the stand at all times? For me, it's an NT-3, and a SM57 (my other mics aren't really worthy, and I've only got two stands :-).

The floor's yours....

-mg

Oh yeah, and Harvey, if you've changed anything around since you wrote that, I'd sure be curious.

Thanks!

-mg

none

I always put my mics back in the cases as soon as I can after a session to avoid getting dust on the diaphragms if they're condensers, or things getting bumped, etc..

..but I'd say 'first reach' mics for vocals are the Neumann TLM103 or the Rode NT1000 I've got..both sound similar, with the Rode being more high-endy..and maybe a Sennheiser MD421 if I want a dynamic..and for a switch but a condenser, the Oktava MC012 sometimes.

Either way, I usually listen to whatever it is, and then make a choice based on that...except with drums...I never put a condenser anywhere near the kit except for overheads, and maybe a cheap AT 3528 under the snare to get more crack and transient response..I'm very anal-retentive with my stuff, and I don't want some drummer hitting my stuff in the first place..let alone breaking it.

Hmm, they rotate some in my studio, but I almost always have an EV PL-20, a pair of Earthworks (either SR-77s or QTC-1s), an ADK A51TC, and my new favorite - a Brauner Valvet BE. Oh, almost forgot, there's usually a ribbon up too. Either a Fostex (I forget the model#) or a Beyer M260. Back in the days before I could afford to be such a gearslut, I kept an AT 4050, the PL20 and a pair of Peavey SD condensers (ERC-12s?) up all the time.

Scott

P.S. I too believe in practicing "safe gear" so all mics left up are covered with Ziploc freezer bags.

I always put my mics back in their cases when I'm done too.
As far as "go to" mics; it depends.

I record a lot of solo piano, and if I want a faithful reproduction, I reach for the Shure SM81's first.
If I want a sound that seems to have more presence, I reach for a pair of TLM 103's.
If I want a crisp detailed high end, the MC012's seem to do a really good job at that.
I've even used a pair of SM57's on piano if I'm looking for a "less featured" - "more back ground-y" sound.

I have a nice drum set, but my current room, is just horrible for it.
I think once I have it set up in its permanent place, I'll probably leave it miked up with the usual suspects.

I usually have two mics up all the time, a SP B1 and a Beyer M300. The B1 is very versatile, and I use it for all kinds of stuff. The M300 I bought because Harvey keeps recommending it as a vocal mic. I bought it off ebay a few weeks ago, and I just love this little inexpensive dynamic. It's just fun to use it, it has a very pleasing sound, especially on uptempo pop/rock vocals.
Apart from that, I'm working on a PZM microphone using the same Panasonic capsules that you find in those Behringer ECM8000 mics. The first one is done already, but I'm still working to improve the electronics using the schematics that people designed to improve those old Radio Shack PZMs. Anyway, one or two of those will be up at all times as well, once they're done. I used to record my acoustic guitar parts with the original Radio Shack PZMs, and I will eventually replace those with my own mics. They'll be a bit more linear, I guess. Transient response is great, but hiss, alas, is still in the same ballpark as the Radio Shacks.

The MC-319 sees a lot of duty. Also a pair of 4033's that see a lot of stand time.

The Dragonfly pretty much has permanent responsibilities on guitar amp. SM7 and Octava mc012 tend to get used a little more than the others.

I never put any of my mics off the stand coz 1) I'm too lazy 2) if they can handle being shaken, shouted and spit at, they sure can handle a little bit of dust. If they can't, they belong into the dust bin. On a more serious note I think that plugging them out/in/out/in/out/in ... does more harm to them than standing in a quiet corner of the studio. Mics have to be on a stand -- that's what they were born for and their only reason for existence :-)

Giganova said:
Mics have to be on a stand -- that's what they were born for and their only reason for existence :-)
Yeah... try leaving a good condenser mic out in a humid room.......

Simple guideline, if the mic's worth anything more than a 57 (especially condensers), put it back in the case (along with the dessicating gelpaks) where it belongs.

mgraffeo said:
Oh yeah, and Harvey, if you've changed anything around since you wrote that, I'd sure be curious.

Thanks!

-mg
Well, Stephen Paul still has my two V67Gs, so they're not up. In the big studio, we keep the Neumann TLM103 up all the time, both of the SM7s, and either a pair of 603s or the Oktava MC012s. Lately, we've had the Marshall V69 up a lot. Alex has been using the Studio Projects B1 and C3 on guitar cabinets lately, so they tend to stay up all the time too.

In the small studio, I keep a pair of 603s up, and one of the SM7s (if I can grab it out of the big studio).

Rossi said:
I'm working on a PZM microphone using the same Panasonic capsules that you find in those Behringer ECM8000 mics.
I think the Behringer ECM8000 capsules are made in the Phillipines, not by Panasonic, but they're still very good.

see, my saxophone teacher had a good point in saying: "never put your instruments or mics in a case! By just walking by and looking at it, you might spontaneously be inspired to play & record something." I guess recording musicians and studio engineers may have a different point of view ;-)

hm, never thought about it, Blue Bear, and I even smoke like hell in my studio. Maybe I should put my mics into the box & closet (what a pain!).

Giganova- smoke very bad for good mics, and for pots and faders, and lots of other stuff. Nooooo, Mr. Bill. Put your mics away in airtight space when you smoke, and gee- vacuum once in a while. Your diaphragms will thank you. BTW, you also get to be on everybody's "I wouldn't buy a used mic from this guy" list.-Richie

Oh yeah, I forgot the mics that see most duty- B.L.U.E. KIWI (which is never left up) on vox, Shure SM82 on cab (found in the bottom of a yard sale- what's the point of putting it away?) and AKG C414B-ULS on almost anything.-Richie

My V67G is my main mic, and WAS always on the stand. No longer. My wife knocked the stand over the other night; it hit the floor and made a small dint in the gold screen.

DAMN! "No that's OK Sweetheart...No problem. I know it was an accident. I guess I'll have to get a new large diaphragm condenser now" She moped around all evening after that
:D

57 stays on the stand - and usually in front of the speaker too...

;)

I made a cover for my V67G, for when its on the stand, but I am so damn lazy when it comes to putting gear away in my studio that I usually forget the covers. I really shouldnt forget to cover my Korg recorder. I dont get the feeling the faders are easily replaced.

Back