What mics (and pres) were used on Metallica's Black album?

jonrusso99

Anybody know what gear was mainly used on Metallica's black album. I think it is the best sounding metal album ever. I know that its the people that matter as well, but with the right gear you have one less excuse. Thanks!

There was almost every kind of mic used at some time on that album. Just watch the 'Year and a Half in the Life of' video. Bob Rock mics a drumset with about 24 mics. There are layers and layers of guitar parts, using different guitars and amps and mics in the same song. There are also drum samples mixed in with the real drums.
Your question is way too general to answer in less than 5 pages. Go buy the video, you will find out most of what you want to know.

Warhead said:
I heard that year and a half video was pre-production.

War
It was all of it, from pre-pro to laying the keys in Canada to mastering. The actual process wasn't the focus of the video, so you have to look at the background to see what was being used and what was going on. They spend about 30 seconds on Randy splicing drum takes together with a razor blade.

check out the "classic albums" dvd on the black album. actually those classic album dvd's are pretty insightful.

What are the "classic album" dvds? Do you have a link?

Thanks!

I have a DVD by Jon Bonham's drum tec that is pretty interesting if you want to know about that famous Bonham sound...

"A Year and a Half in the Life of...."

It's a great video, especially the first tape that has to do with the recording process but....

It really doesn't matter what mics and mic pres that Bob Rock and his goons used but it also depends on the drummer, the drums, the drum tuning, the room, the performance area, the post production, and the band itself.

If you love the production on "The Black Album" then the best way you can figure out if you can pull off that sound is to try and record a cover tune off that record on your own. There are MANY factors beyond mics and preamps... like I said above. Even past all the drum stuff, the guitars, vocals, bass, and overdubs are setup for a final mix/feeling of a record. So if you want to sound exactly like "The Black Record" go ahead... it might be close if you take the time to get it there but I doubt it.

By "gear" are you asking studio-wise? Cuz Bob Rock manipulated Matallica. After working with major label acts and indie acts over the last 11 years I can tell you that it's been very rare to hear a band produce something with the slickness/over-production of "The Black Album".

Is your band a carbon copy of Matallica? Or are you a recording engineer that happens to like "The Black Album"?

Pretty much you had Metallica on the post praise of "...And Justice Of All" and loved the Bob Rock production of later "The Cult" (of which I like even tho it has more over-the-top production). I thought Metallica would've been better going back to a raw Rick Rubin production, personally.

Anyways, yeah... I do like certain aspects of "The Black Album" but over-production is over-production... many many factors before a mix went into that. Back in the day of cutting 2" 24 track drums plus sampled on a sony deck..... damn..... I don't miss those days.

Good luck and keep pushing,
-- Adam Lazlo

Back