What MICPRE should i buy ?

Re: What MICPRE sould i buy ?

Gabriel Sousa said:
Hello,

I need to buy a VERY GOOD micpre.
Dont know what to buy...

I was thinking in SUmmit MPC-100a, but dont have EQ.

or avalon vt737sp or UA 6176

Whats you opinion ? :/

thanks

Get the Avalon. Best pre there is. You will love it. Pick the Avalon that best suits you. You can't go wrong.

Blue Bear Sound said:
I was recently privy to a mic pre listening party hosted by one of our local studios....

If you can afford it, the Groove Tubes Vipre is amazingly versatile. But one of my faves in the comparison turned out to be the Great River MP-2NV...

In your opinion, how does the John Hardy M1 stack up? I've not been to a shootout, but the M1 I heard was amazing. I think I like it better than the Great River.

We didn't have a John Hardy in the list... I would have liked to hear it first hand too....

These were the pres that were compared using a drum kit, and then a female vocal.

API 512B
Focusrite ISA 430 (Producer's Pack)
Summit MPE-200 "Element 78"
Drawmer 1960
Drawmer 1969 "Mercenary Edition"
Vintech 1272 (Neve Copy)
Sage SE-Pre1 (Designed by Phil Bova)
Groove Tubes VIPRE
Great River MP2-NV
Universal Electronics 6176

There was no "clear winner" -- what really became obvious was the different flavours each pre imparted.... very much like an artist's palette. Some things shone, others didn't handle other things well... some got cloudy and veiled when pushed too hard, others really opened up....

All of them are excellent - not all of them are excellent at the same things! But to me, the Great River was the most balanced on all the comparisons.

What made the Groove Tubes VIPRE so flexible was the ability to control so many parameters such as impedance and rise time, even to the point of being able to de-ess a sibilant vocalist while maintaining the sonic character of the signal!

another question in relation to yours is which ones are best suited for dig and or l Analog.
I also am in the Market and wondering which would be my best bet.
I use the DM24 mixer with a DA78 master recorder and two
DA38s as Slaves.

Back