what mic ?

xdankennyx

what mic should i use to record a distorted guitar, i recorded one guitar with an sm 57 i haveand it came aout pretty good, now im recording, from the same head with difftrent settings and a diffrent guitar and it sounds like shit, could it be the settings and the guitar that are making the diffrence? and what mic do u thinki should use scince this one is getting the sound i want
thanx

xdankennyx said:
i recorded one guitar with an sm 57 i haveand it came aout pretty good, now im recording, from the same head with difftrent settings and a diffrent guitar and it sounds like shit, could it be the settings and the guitar that are making the diffrence?

Lemme' see . . . you got a good sound at first, then you changed settings and then it didn't sound good.

No, I think it's definitely the mic.

You need to get one of these:

http://www.mercenary.com/braunvm1klau.html

Close to the vocal mic I recommended hottsauce -
There is a great mic that has little mice inside who are jacked up on gingko biloba who adjust everything, synthesize your guitar and amp setting, tweak it so, and make your playing sound stunning. Its pretty cool. Instead of buying good guitars, amp, compressors, EQs, effects processors, etc; and instead of wasting time learning how to do things, this mic does everything for you.
Also - as a rule of thumb - if it sounds bad its the mic. Would it really make sense that the instruments, skill of people playing those instruments, skill of people recording those instruments, etc. would really have anything to do with sound quality. Heck no - its the mic. Id either get the one Chess recommended you, or the one I recommended you.
And I would suggest the newbies forum.

well if i were you i would use the same set up and settings i was using when it sounded good,than go get the braun if you still dont like it. hell, id just go get the braun anyways.

thanx Scinx the sarcasim helped , this is my second full band demo and i was justa king a question im pretty sure that whats this boards for (dick?) but yea i have to play around alittle bit mor, unfortunetly i dunt have the money for that mic that chessrock recomended, but ill try and figure sumthing out

There is no reason why the 57 shouldn't work! I always get a decent sound while micing the cab with a 57 and also using a direct signal. As far as what Scinx said.. don't let it bother you. Some people just think that their shit doesn't stink and that anyone who asked a "newbie" question not in the "newbie" forum is entitled to sarcasm. You are right.. this site is for asking questions. Good luck and fire up the 57!:D

last demo I recorded, I didn't like the sound I got from my 57, so I moved it, still didn't like it, so I moved it again, and suddenly, I liked it a LOT!

if you amp doesnt sound good in the room, it isnt gonna sound good miked. you should be able to get a good sound out of the sm57, just try different placements and amplifier settings till it sounds like what you want.

Back